IF Boroughmuir ever proceed with their plans to upgrade Meggetland, then the installation of undersoil heating should be a consideration. Uncertainty over whether matches should go ahead in winter conditions is good for neither players, spectators nor gate revenue. A little warmth can go a long way.

Saturday's Tennent's premiership match between Boroughmuir and Watsonians - potentially a big crowd puller - was a case in point. The match was given the go ahead less than an hour before kick-off when referee Ian Ramage endorsed Boroughmuir's view that the pitch was playable - just. It was verging on the hard side in places but a veneer of thawed turf was sufficient to persuade minds.

In the event, those spectators who opted to watch live club rugby were rewarded with a hugely exciting match that was decided only in injury time when Scott Hastings ran in a try to snatch victory for Watsonians. It was a typical Watsonian try and created from an seemingly impossible situation.

John Kerr had received the ball and simultaneously several defenders, but the Watsonian left wing managed to stay on his feet sufficiently long enough for the support to arrive. Jamie Weston's long pass, the double involvement of Tom Smith, and Hastings' positional experience produced the perfect finish for Watsonians.

It was a bitter blow for Boroughmuir, who over the piece had defended fiercely, David Laird in particular having excelled with several copy-book tackles on Hastings. But in fairness, Boroughmuir had committed too many errors to emerge worthy winners, albeit that after Bruce Reekie had put over a seventy-ninth minute penalty for a 31-30 lead it seemed a home win would be the outcome.

``We lost too much ball in contact,'' admitted Bruce Hay, the erstwhile Boroughmuir coach. True. Muir's forward drives - some of them executed admirably - so often came to nothing as the ball carrier became disposessed in the tackle.

Boroughmuir needed more than forward strength. What is missing in their make-up is strike power out wide. Yes Sean Lineen's play-making skills would help, but the two players they miss most are Derek Stark and Nick Mardon.

Steve Reed, brought back into the Boroughmuir side, showed useful touches, the best when he appeared at outside centre to create a try for fellow wing Ally McLean, but twice Reed was given scoring chances only to be found wanting in pace. Stark would have left the defence frazzled.

As for Mardon, it is his intrusive running that Boroughmuir are missing. Campbell Aitken had a much better game at full back and perhaps now that he is unlikely to be challenged for the No.15 jersey he will realise his considerable potential.

Fortunately, Boroughmuir do have a star performer behind the scrum in Graeme Beveridge. The former Peebles scrum half who will play for Scotland under-21s against Italy next Friday, scored two cracking tries, the first a clean break through the Watsonians defence and the second after he collected the ball from his own charge down of an attempted clearance by Duncan Hodge.

Beveridge admitted afterwards that he felt on song. ``Our fitness consultant, Malcolm Fairweather, advised me to rest this week. It worked a treat,'' he said.

Boroughmuir's other try was scored by flanker Ron Kirkpatrick, who later retired with a recurrence of a groin injury and was replaced by the impressive Steve Wands. Kirkpatrick's score was in reply to a fine opening try for Watsonians by Andrew Garry, but arguably the visitors' best touchdown was scored by Gordon Hannah, who appears to be revelling in his move from flanker to wing.

Hannah timed his arrival from the blindside to midfield with perfection and once put into space, the former Kirkcaldy flanker showed he has the pace to become a more than useful wing.

That score and the conversion by Hodge levelled the game at 20-20, but it was Watsonians' next points that were crucial.

Hodge's huge 60-metre dropout forced Boroughmuir on to the defensive, and when Watsonians were illegally prevented from scoring a pushover try the finger was pointed at the home front row. Penalty try and conversion.

Watsonians stretched their lead with a drop goal by Hodge. Then two penalty goals by Reekie seemed to have won the match for Boroughmuir. But never write off Watsonians and Hastings' try was a gem and a thrilling end to a thrilling game.

SCORERS: Boroughmuir - Reekie 3p, 1c; Beveridge 2t; Kirkpatrick 1t; McLean 1t. Watsonians Hodge 3c, 2p, 1dg; Garry 1t, Hannah 1t, Hastings 1t; penalty try.

Boroughmuir: Aitken; Reed, Laird, Wyllie, McLean; Reekie, Beveridge; McNulty, Allan , Penman, D Burns, P Jennings, Cadzow, Reid, Kirkpatrick. Replacement - S Wands for Kirkpatrick 26 mins.

Watsonians: Lee; Hannah, Hastings, Garry, Kerr; Hodge, Beveridge; Smith, McKelvey, Stanaway, Grimes, White, Mather, Brown, McDonald.

Referee - I Ramage (Berwick).

Boroughmuir ....... 31

Watsonians ......... 35