BRITAIN'S oldest person is now Lucy Askew, aged 112, after the death of 113-year-old Annie Scott, of Reay, near Thurso, in Caithness.

Ms Askew, who lives in Essex, is just six months younger than Mrs Scott, who celebrated her birthday last month. Mrs Scott had been a widow since 1937.


ANGUS Council is to appoint a European services manager to investigate all possible ways of boosting trade with Europe. The council aims to spend #50,000 on this new department, with a manager receiving a salary of #25,000.

Cows hoof it

EIGHTEEN cows escaped from a field yesterday - and made straight for the beach. Police found the herd strolling along the promenade in Weymouth, Dorset.

Hospital protest

STAFF at King's Cross Hospital, Dundee, have called for a public campaign to halt plans to transfer the bulk of services to Ninewells Hospital.

Firebug hunt

POLICE are hunting a fire-raiser who forced the occupants of three flats in Taylor Street, Methil, Fife, to flee from their homes.

Lilac time

A MAN who transformed his grey and white sixteenth-century home by painting it lilac two years ago has won a battle against planners to keep the colour. West Dorset councillors had ordered Mr Ted Braunholtz, 66, to repaint his home in Shelbourne but Environment Secretary John Gummer has overturned that decision.

Seat danger

THREE in five adults are unaware they are putting their children's lives at risk by using rear-facing child safety seats in the front of cars fitted with airbags, says an RAC survey.

Royal honours

ONE of Britain's highest honours has been awarded by the Queen to the Duke of Devonshire and philanthropist Timothy Colman, of mustard family fame. They have been appointed Knights Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Gas drama

A SIX-year-old boy was taken to hospital after he sprayed his face with CS gas. The youngster is believed to have found the cannister while playing at Saltwells Nature Reserve, near Dudley, West Midlands, on Sunday night.

Woman dies

AN elderly woman died yesterday morning after fire broke out in the bedroom of her Dunbartonshire home. Ms Sarah Shields, 90, of Hillfoot, Renton, was taken to Vale of Leven Hospital, suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, but was found to be dead on arrival.