Glasgow Academicals 12

Glasgow Southern 5

WHAT a difference a week makes. Having witnessed a Glasgow Southern side which shone in defeat the previous Saturday, it was odd to see the same team appear so disjointed.

It was not that Glasgow Academicals were that much better opposition, rather that the visitors played an over complicated game which never really looked likely to succeed.

The hosts, on the other hand, did handle simply and impressively, and but for some butter-fingered backs and great Southern tackling, they could have won at a canter.

One could see at a glance why so much has been written and said about Torquil Mathewson this season. His speed and strength caught the eye and, joy of joys, he was prepared to take on his opposite man.

The reshuffled Accies pack had its moments, especially in the set-piece, but was probably just edged out in the loose by the Southern eight.

Both teams have won promotion at their respective levels in the Tennents Premiership but will have work to do before cup duties beckon in a couple of weeks' time.

The scoring was opened for Accies by Steve Winter, appearing on the wing to finish off Chris Middleton's attack with a try. Julian Richmond stretched the lead after John Williams had dented the Southern defence. Stuart Simmers converted.

With just six minutes to go, Stewart Simcox snapped up a consolation try for Southern when he charged down Middleton's attempted clearance.

Glasgow Academicals - J Williams; T G R Mathewson, M Davis, D Ablett, I McAslan; C Middleton, S Simmers; D Porte, A Mason, G Doran, C Afuakwah, D Barr, C Brown, J W Richmond, S Winter.

Glasgow Southern - A P Healy; M Guthrie, D Sharkey, P Devlin, A Richardson; J Dunlop, G Allison; A McDougall, R Anderson, G Johnston, I Smith, A Tunn, J M Clinkenbeard, S J Simcox, G Remnant.

Referee - E Murray (Greenock Wanderers).

SCORERS: Glasgow Academicals - Winter, 1t; Richmond, 1t; Simmers, 1c. Glasgow Southern - Simcox, 1t.

q.THE most positive thing to emerge from the West Regional League has been the form of West of Scotland's James Craig, who again ran in three excellent tries - this time against Wigtownshire as West won 46-22 at Burnbrae.

Craig was playing on the right wing, but his best score came when he went to the left and produced a mazy run to touch down by the posts!

Centre Tyrone Greenshields had begun events by supporting Alan Williamson for a try within 30 seconds. Williamson scored twice, while David Jamieson and Scott McKechnie also touched down.

GHK broke their duck, winning 23-8 at Stirling County. Playing at full back, Gerry Hawkes had the experience to capitalise on County's inexperience and he set up two of the three tries scored by promising winger Geoff Caldwell. GHK's other try came from golden oldie Craig Eason.

County adopted strange second-half tactics, kicking when close to the GHK line and attempting to run it from their own twenty-two, but did produce a try for flanker Rob Wylie.

Having won the two Premiership encounters, Kilmarnock made it three with a 30-11 home success over Ayr. They would be disappointed to only lead 8-6 at the pause with a try from Mike Welsh but the clinching score came in 65 minutes when Ned Carswell finished off a pushover try from a scrum taken instead of a penalty.

In the final 10 minutes, James Adams and Welsh added further tries.