THE tragic death of boxer Jim Murray amid ringside riots in a Glasgow hotel was rerun in a courtroom yesterday.

For almost an hour Sheriff James Murphy watched a television film of the fight which ended with 25-year-old boxer collapsing in the ring.

There were 34 seconds to go before the final bell of the 12 round British Bantam Weight title fight. Murray appeared to be winning when he fell to the canvas.

As he lay dying in the ring, a riot erupted at the city's Hospitality Inn. The Sky TV commentator's voice was heard to say: ``He's lost it right at the death.''

A few minutes earlier another commentator said that only a ``Friday the 13th catastrophe'' could stop Murray, of Newarthill, Lanarkshire, taking the title from Drew Docherty.

During the uproar last October officials could be heard shouting at the fans to keep clear to enable doctors to get to the stricken boxer.

Commentators Ian Darke and Glen McCrory, of Sky TV, were heard saying that people were crying and missiles were being thrown.

The fight referee, John Kean, 45, told the fatal accident inquiry at Glasgow Sheriff Court that in the final seconds of the bout Murray collapsed.

Mr Kean said: ``I counted him out and then I tried to take out his gumshield.

``I failed to get it out and a doctor came into the ring and removed it. Another doctor arrived and I stood back to let them attend to Jim.''

Asked by Mrs Anne Donaldson, leading the evidence, if he had seen a video recording of the fight, he replied: ``No. I could not bear to watch it.''

Asked if with hindsight he would have done anything differently, Mr Kean replied: ``I have gone over it again more than a thousand times in my mind and I don't think so.''

Earlier, the dead boxer's father, Mr Kenneth Murray, 52, of Eastwood Drive, Newmains, said Murray lived with his family and worked as a council gardener.

He had become a professional boxer in l993, trained hard, and had a lot of success.

Mr Murray said he saw his son in his last fight. Questioned by Mrs Donaldson, he said he did not seek any inquiry into his son's death and ``blamed no-one''.

Fight promoter Catherine Morrison, 28, of Mount Vernon, Glasgow, said she made the arrangements for the title fight and five other bouts on the bill.

She said almost 300 fans attended the dinner at 7pm and were joined by another 180 fans for the boxing part of the evening at 9.30pm.

Her father, Alex Morrison, 58, of Carmyle Avenue, Mount Vernon, told the hearing that Murray had won 16 out of 17 professional fights.

Mr Morrison, the boxer's manager, said that Murray had never before fought a 12-round professional bout.

He said: ``Jim had been training vigorously and I went to his room to wish him luck before the fight began.''

Mr Morrison said that later he helped to keep people back from the ring to allow medics to work, including the dying boxer's family.

Mrs Donaldson told the sheriff at the start of the hearing that she had previously notified interested parties who may have wished to be legally represented, but no-one had appeared.

The inquiry continues today with no-one to cross-examine witnesses led by Mrs Donaldson.

Drew Docherty has been cited to give evidence to the inquiry.

Murray's trainer, David Douglas, 40, of Larkhall, said the boxer was ``sharp and bright'' and confident that he would be attending a party later to celebrate having won the title.

Murray was beaten by Docherty when they were both amateurs, but he was sure he would win on the night.

Mr Douglas described Murray as a ``dream boxer to train''.

During the summer Murray's weight was 8st 12lb, but he had no trouble in bringing it down to the required weight of 8st 9 or 10lb, said Mr Douglas, a building site manager.

``On the night of the fight he was as happy as I have ever seen him. He was bang on.''

Nursing director Margaret Mason, 49, of Peebles, said she was on duty at the fight with a colleague sitting near a neutral corner.

She said: ``There was tension leading up to the fight and during it and rather a lot of drink was being taken.

``When Jim Murray collapsed I turned to my trolley and equipment, but this was being used a missiles by the crowd.''

Her companion went into the ring and Murray was helped from the ring on to a stretcher.

Asked by Miss Donaldson if the boxer had been given oxygen, she said: ``No. It had vanished.''

Part of the crowd was trying to help and part was trying to hinder, but they managed to get Murray out of the hall into an ambulance.

During the journey to hospital she heard Murray's second say they had wanted to pull him out of the fight at the end of the tenth round.

Miss Mason said she did not think that the lack of oxygen made any difference as in her opinion the boxer had received the injury earlier during the fight.

Gerald Spawton, 43, of Polmont, near Falkirk, said he went into the ring and checked that the boxer's gumshield was out

He said Murray's respiration and pulse were strong, but one of his pupils was dilated, indicating pressure.