THEY may be the darlings of French rugby as they sit atop the Premier League, but Agen did nothing for the entent cordiale as their pettiness, and distruptive tactics, riled a sizeable Hughenden crowd.

They retained their unbeaten league position in this Euro Conference encounter and as their coach Daniel Dubroca said: ``I was pleased to get the two points. I am satisfied with the result because the physical presence of the Glasgow team surprised us. We are not as strong yet with this young team. Glasgow did well.''

Glasgow coach Hamish Fyfe was even more pleased at his team's effort. ``We finished with our heads held high after several previously disappointing results. But no-one can say that tonight we were not trying. The effort of the lads was outstanding. At one stage I thought we might have gone on to steal a victory, but we had let them get too far ahead in the first half.''

Forward coach Gordon Macpherson quite naturally gave credit to his pack.``I thought every one of them, including the replacements, gave 100% effort.''

Referee Senor Giocomelle from Italy wasn't exactly flavour of the month with some of his strange decisions. He antagonised both sides by varying his interpretations of repeated infringements. His authority lost a lot of credence in the first half, when he allowed a Glasgow tramping in a ruck go unpunished, and the French took it upon themselves to take retribution with some prolonged fisticuffs that did not bring any warnings.

The referee actually stopped the match for three minutes midway through the first half as he walked off clutching his chest. The announcer began informing the crowd of his replacement, but before the linesman could take over Senor Giocomelle returned to the fray.

It was a spectacular night from the start with the teams coming out under spotlights to be greeted by a flamboyant display of fireworks and rousing music. A carnival start that, unfortunately, finished in a theatrical manner.

The French, who are unbeaten at home and in the European Conference League have undoubted talent that often had the fans applauding, Left winger Jean-Francois Mateo in particular earned rousing plaudits for some superb running. But the other obstructive side to the French tactics didn't go down so well.

Glasgow had no failures in the forwards and both scrum halves (Fraser Stott came on for Jamie Weston just after the interval) had some rousing moments. But Glasgow still cannot find a midfield link that can bring in the real potential of wingers Glenn Metcalfe and James Craig.

Young Craig, in particular, showed his usual electric pace but has added a bit more belligerence to his play and took his two tries beautifully.

Agen opened up a 14 point gap in 12 minutes with two soft, but excellently executed, tries from Vincent Thomas and Laurent Loubere, both goaled by Stephane Prosper. Glasgow's reply was a penalty by Cammy Little. But the French struck again with a try from the twinkle-toed Mateo and again Prosper converted.

Glasgow certainly didn't lack courage and Jamie Weston wriggled over after a bombardment on the line. And in injury time Gordon Mackay, who had come on as an interim replacement backed up Craig and went over for a try.

The French showed their pack power after the turn round and No.8 David Lagrange got the touch in a pushover. Prosper missed the conversion, but put over a neat drop goal.

Lagrange repeated the pushover tactic in 66 minutes, but Glasgow's undying spirit brought two tries in three minutes both from the electrifying Craig. Both set up by Stott. Neither was converted, but the Glasgow side showed what might have been if things had gone better earlier.

Glasgow - C Little; G Metcalfe, A Bulloch, C Sangster, J Craig, A Garry, J Weston, A Perrie, G Bulloch, B Robertson, S Begley, M Norval, F Wallace, D McLeish, J Shaw. Replacements: F Stott for Weston (48min), G McIlwham for Perrie (53), G Mackay for Wallace (61).

Referee - C Giocomelle (Italy).