POLICE in Inverness yesterday began investigations into the death of a

14-year- old boy who was killed when his father's shotgun went off in

his hands while he was watching television on Monday afternoon.

The body of Malcolm Williams, whose parents are doctors, was

discovered by his older brother Peter, 22.

Their mother, Dr Patricia Williams, a GP in Inverness, yesterday told

how her husband Frank, a consultant radiologist at Raigmore Hospital,

Inverness, kept his double-barrelled 20-bore shotgun and cartridges

locked away in separate cupboards. He used the gun to shoot rabbits

which used to invade their garden from surrounding farmland and the

neighbouring Inverness-Nairn rail line embankment.

Mrs Williams said: ''Malcolm knew about guns because he had an air

rifle, but never showed any apparent interest in Frank's shotgun, and

certainly wasn't allowed to use it. I don't know what made him

interested on this occasion. He must have taken advantage of the hour he

knew he was being left alone in the house to find the keys to the

cupboards and load and examine the gun.

Speaking at the family home, Seafield of Raigmore House, a mile

outside Inverness on the Inverness to Nairn road, Mrs Williams added:

''We think it was just a stupid, tragic accident. He must have been

fiddling about with the gun while he watched TV and it went off


Her husband, Dr Frank Williams, agreed: ''We do not think it was

suicide. Malcolm was looking forward to us all going on holiday next

month to Canada to visit our daughter Kate, who is an exchange

psychology student there. He was his normal cheery self and had no

problems we knew about.''

He went on to describe how his son, Peter, arrived home from his work

in the local benefits office and started to make something to eat in the


''He could hear the television was on and assumed Malcolm was sitting

watching it. Peter shouted through, asking him if he wanted something to

eat as well, and jokingly asked if he was expected to do all the work.

''It was only when he got no reply he went to investigate and found

Malcolm dead. It was a terrible shock for him, naturally, but he has

gone back to work. Perhaps it is better having something to occupy

himself with. I have told the police to keep the shotgun. I don't want

it back.''

Malcolm was in his fourth year at Culloden Academy. Headmaster Derek

McGinn said yesterday: ''I was devastated when Mr Williams phoned me

with the news. Malcolm was a good student, a very bright pupil -- in

fact a model pupil. He was a wee bit shy, but had a good circle of