Swansea ..... 28 Glasgow Caledonians ...... 13

They may be physically smaller than most of their Welsh opponents, but the only part of the Scottish anatomy not up to the job in this Celtic League is above the shoulder line.

That was the assessment of Glasgow Caledonians' captain Andy Nicol, after defeat at St Helens on Saturday.

''Physically we're in good enough shape,'' he said. ''We're not as big as they are, but Scottish sides usually aren't. It's not a physical thing, though, it's a mental thing.''

Of course as Reds coach Richie Dixon has said repeatedly that is what they are in this Celtic League for, but it is proving even more difficult than he expected.

''We've shown we have the ability,'' said Dixon. ''Our problem is a lack of composure which is down to pressure. We've not been in that position as often as the Welsh have, but we're not coming to terms with it nearly as quickly as I would like.''

Though they are, some will feel wrongly, guaranteed their places in this league - relegation hanging over those Welsh sides which struggle - an embarrassing scramble in the nether reaches will be the lot of both Scottish sides if they don't attune very soon.

Both Dixon and Nicol felt this match could have been won and that their own failings in giving away soft scores explained the final try count of 4-1 in the home side's favour.

Swansea's greater power largely saw them dominate the first half, with international stand off Arwel Thomas, working well with former Wales captain Robert Jones, the most influential figure at that stage.

After one of many Reds lineout put-ins that were to be won by the home side, his perfectly timed pass let centre Richard Jones crash over for the opening try, Thomas converting and adding two penalties in quick succession to put his side well clear.

The next try was a more obvious gift, a far from impenetrably clever lineout manoeuvre saw James Griffiths tapping down to fellow lock Tyrone Maullin. He returned it to hooker Chris Wells who then ran some 20 metres unmolested to score.

Wells was the main beneficiary of the visitors' generosity and shortly after half-time his second try put the game beyond the Reds' reach.

This time Nicol's quickly taken line-out wasn't anticipated by either Ian Jardine or Tommy Hayes and as the defence scrambled back a penalty was conceded on the 22.

Rob Jones took it quickly and his double miss pass again found Wells loitering with intent on the left wing.

Of the two Test captains at scrum-half, that sequence perhaps best demonstrated who had the better afternoon. Both were spoken to after an off the ball altercation, hardly the way for Nicol to show his appreciation for Jones' withdrawal from action to allow him to become a British Lion, but while mutual respect remains, that was six years ago.

A couple of Hayes penalties clawed the Reds back into contention as they otherwise enjoyed their best spell of superiority in the third quarter, but they ran out of steam.

Dixon partly blamed the ''Tuesday factor'' - their match against Scotland - for that, but the inability to establish control was largely down to the otherwise excellent replacement Dougie Hall's complete inability to find his lineout jumpers. Living off turn-overs and the industry of their excellent back-row will rarely be enough.

That said, for a Swansea side that itself had little to be excited about, Thomas' trickery in providing the room for Rees to score their final try deep in injury time, flattered them.

Of Scotland's World Cup pair, Dave Hilton found himself very much at odds with the referee, being penalised on a number of occasions, but rightly seemed unperturbed.

''I knew I had that tighthead wherever I wanted,'' he said, his biggest problem apparently having been convincing the official that he was not the one illegally dropping and raising the scrums.

Shaun Longstaff, meanwhile, was elusive as ever on the rare occasions he did get the chance to run, and put in a couple of big tackles. But he will hope for greater opportunities against Uruguay and Spain in particular.

Swansea: A Lawson; R Rees, Richard Jones (D Griffiths 17 min), A Barnard, M Robinson; A Thomas, Robert Jones; D Morris, C Wells, C Anthony, T Maullin (O Lloyd 77), J Griffiths, P Moriarty, R Appleyard (J Bater 64 ), L Jones.

Glasgow Caledonians: B Irving; J Craig, J Stuart, I Jardine, S Longstaff; T Hayes, A Nicol; D Hilton, G Scott (D Hall 32), G McIlwham, S Campbell, S Griffiths, D Burns, G Flockhart (A Brown 80), J White.

Referee - D Davies (Wales)

Scoring sequence (Swansea first): 7-0, 10-0, 13-0, 13-7, 18-7 (half-time); 23-7, 23-10, 23-13, 28-13.

Scorers: Swansea - tries - Richard Jones (9 mins), Wells (38, 46 mins), Rees (80 mins); Conversions - Thomas (9 mins); Penalties - Thomas (15, 17 mins).

Glasgow Caledonians -Try - Jardine (26 mins), Conversions- Hayes (26 mins);Penalty - Hayes (49, 52 mins).