Celtic...4, Cwmbran...0

aggregate 10-0

IT WAS not exactly a spectacular fringe show, but Celtic, with seven players who have not been first-team regulars to date this season in the side, took care of the second chapter of their qualifying tale against the part-timers of Cwmbran at Parkhead last night.

There was a touch of unreality about it all, a European tie in front of a remarkable 46,757 customers, with the odd cheer, the odd jeer, and a sprinkling of goals to make sure that the aggregate, given its 6-0 start from the first leg, was increased enough for respectability.

The Welsh side went off with their chests out, proud of a sterling effort on what must have been a nerve-jangling occasion for them.

As they had done in the opening leg, they never gave up, worked their socks off, and finished up tired, beaten, but not horse-whipped.

To be honest, they scarcely managed a shot at Dmitri Kharine in the Celtic goal, but that was hardly a surprise.

They defended with fine organisation and willing industry, and for a team from the Welsh League, that was as much as could be expected.

They were hit early on with a goal that might have been seen as a starter for 10, when Harald Brattbakk scored in eight minutes. However, their determin- ation not to collapse kept Celtic at bay for the rest of the first half, and they went indoors at the interval for a well-deserved break.

It was then that a new bright young thing appeared in a Celtic jersey.

Eighteen-year-old Jamie Smith, making his first appearance in the top side, gave the team and the crowd a lift with some sparkling, confident play.

He was also able to show a willingness to have a go, to good effect, too, when he shot home Celtic's second goal after 60 minutes.

Seven minutes later, Johan Mjallby, always eager to get into the act at set-pieces, headed in No.3. Then just before the end, substitute Tommy Johnson hit the fourth.

That was enough to get the job done. Now Celtic can look forward to today's draw for the UEFA Cup first round. The playtime is over.

As, inevitably, it was more of a workout for Celtic, there was the bizarre buzz of a large crowd talking among themselves for much of the time, occasionally breaking off from chit-chat about the latest stock exchange prices to give the lads a cheer when they neared goal.

Not surprisingly, it was virtually all Celtic from the off, with a shot from Bobby Petta, which the keeper held comfortably, signalling the way the traffic was sure to flow.

It was a corner on he left by the Dutchman which brought the first bit of excitement, when the ball was headed firmly by Johan Mjallby, who was disappointed to see the goalie, who had come in to replace the injured first-choice at the last minute, touch it on to the bar.

Even then, it should have been a goal because it fell to Brattbakk, but his shot from a few yards hit the keeper and was diverted to safety.

However, the Norwegian was not to be denied in eight minutes when he put his team ahead. He completed a fine move started by Petta, carried on by Regi Blinker, by placing the ball carefully out of Morris' reach.

Harald was clearly enjoying himself, as he got into good position again to head a Blinker cross but aimed it just too near the keeper.

Morten Wieghorst was dominating the midfield exchanges but should have done better when he worked a superb 1-2 with Bratt- bakk, but he elected to pass inside the box when he had plenty of room to have a go himself.

It was all about Brattbakk up front, none the less, and there he was again to head a Blinker cross, but too high this time.

Mark Burchill then got into the act after Mjallby and Brattbakk set him up, but his shot was blocked by Morris' legs and went away for a corner.

Alan Stubbs grew a little impatient with his front men and came racing up on the right to hustle them up. His fine cross beat the keeper, and when Brattbakk headed it back into the path of Blinker, a goal looked certain. The shot was good and true but Morris made a marvellous one-handed stop and, as Brattbakk rushed in, repeated it with a second single-handed clearance.

Cwmbran managed a shot at goal near half-time, a long-range effort by Delniol Graham which went wide and was cheered by the crowd, who were becoming somewhat restive as their lot failed to add to their total.

Celtic brought on teenageer Jamie Smith for Wieghorst after the break, perhaps with an eye on Sunday's game with Hearts, and the new boy immediately livened things up.

First he worked a neat 1-2 with Blinker that forced a corner on the right, and then he had a searing shot that went only a foot or so outside the far post.

Smith was endearing himself to the local clientele, and did so even more when he worked a clever 1-2 with Burchill, allowing the striker to hit a good shot that came off a post.

A minute later, Burchill did have the ball in the net when he headed in a McKinlay cross, but he was judged offside, much to the annoyance of the gathered throng.

As time wore on, however, the crowd became increasingly disenchanted, and there were a few boos in the night air.

Those changed to cheers in 60 minutes when Smith, showing terrific confidence, took a pass from Healy, and hit a superb left-foot shot from 20 yards past the startled Welsh keeper.

Brattbakk was still running his heart out, and he was involved in another sweet move with Petta, whose final chip was too high.

In 67 minutes, the crowd did have a third goal to acclaim. A corner from the left was cleared only partially, and when Burchill lofted it back into the penalty area, Mjallby powerfully headed it past Morris.

Immediately after, Dmitri Kharine was roundly cheered when he clutched a rare effort from Graham.

Celtic then put on Tommy Johnson for Petta. There was still time for one more goal. Johnson was the man who popped it into the net after Burchill crossed from the right.

CELTIC: Kharine, Stubbs, Brattbakk, Wieghorst, Petta, McKinlay, Blinker, Healy, Burchill, Riseth, Mjallby. Substitutes - Mahe, Johnson, Bonnes, Elliot, Convery, Corr, Smith.

CWMBRAN - Morris, Wills, John, Blackie, O'Brien, Summers, Moore, Graham, Wigley, Aizlewood, Fucher. Substitutes - O'Hagan, Thomas, Powell, Graham, Good-ridge, Evans, Pattimore.

Referee - P McKeon (Ireland).