EDINBURGH Reivers opened their Tri-Continental Cup campaign with an easy 59-5 victory over Uruguay A at Fletcher's Field, Toronto, last night.

The Scots opened up a four-try lead at the interval, enabling the rest of the match to effectively become a useful training run for the new season.

Reivers coach Ian Rankin said: ''Conditions were very tricky with a gusting and swirling wind preventing fluent play.

''There were also difficulties surrounding the varying interpretations of the laws involving both sides and the referee - but once we settled down we strung some fine moves together.''

Edinburgh broke the deadlock when scrum half Iain Fairley burst through from close range.

Debutant flanker Simon Taylor, who played such a major part in Heriot's Premiership triumph last term, ploughed over for the second touchdown.

Further tries before the break by full back Stuart Lang and blind side flanker Cammy Mather ruled out any chance of a Uruguayan success.

Duncan Hodge was also in great form with the boot, converting all the first-half scores.

Gregor Hayter switched to the second row and marked a superb display with two tries in the second half.

Hodge also went over twice and added three more conversions, while Taylor continued to impress by completing his double.

The South Americans snatched a late consolation effort, but Rankin said he was ''very satisfied'' with his side's overall performance.

Scotland's other tourists, Glasgow Caledonians, were into their stride early in the first match of their Canadian trip against Ontario, winning 65-21.

Donny MacFadyen grabbed the first try with the match only a minute old.

Playing into a gale force wind, Ian Jardine was next on the scoresheet four minutes later and in the eleventh minute Shaun Longstaff crossed for the first of his two first half tries.

The Reds were bringing their wings and full back into play at every opportunity, and slick hands saw Gareth Flachart romp in with 16 minutes gone.

With imaginative running off the ball, the visitors were handling at every opportunity and restricting Ontario to using the wind by kicking for position.

This saw them slot three penalties and excellent continuity put Longstaff over for his second try. Flockhart followed, grabbing his brace in 37 minutes and with Tommy Hayes landing three conversions despite the wind, Glasgow Caledonians turned round 36-14 ahead.

Longstaff grabbed his hat trick four minutes into the second half and added a fourth eight minutes later with Ontario crossing for their second try between Longstaff's efforts.

Alan Bulloch came in from full back to score his first try with 14 minutes of the second spell gone. Jon Stewart celebrated his first game for the Reds with a try on the half hour and Bulloch completed the scoring with a try six minutes from time.

Hayes added another two conversions in a match described by David Jordan as '' a good opening performance showing plenty of promise in which we created a lot of openings.''

The only problem for the Reds was the departure in the first half of lock Steve Griffiths with an ankle injury.

qA year ago, Heriot's won the Preston Lodge Tens, beating no less than Glasgow Caledonians in the final - and no-one noticed.

They took the silverware back to Goldenacre again on Saturday, beating Boroughmuir 24-7 in the final and losing only one score in the process. All eyes are now on their defence of the league title.

''We're delighted to start where we left off,'' was the comment of Heriot's spokesman Fraser Dall. ''It'll be difficult to win the title successively, but, given the quality of our squad, there's no reason why not.'' Results:

Round One - Heriot's 47, Selkirk 0; West of Scotland 14, Musselburgh 8; Watsonians 34, Dundee HSFP 10; Kelso 7, Preston Lodge 17; Haddington 5, Jed-Forest 24; Glasgow Hawks 12, Kirkcaldy 29; Gala 5, Currie 27; Boroughmuir 20, Peebles 7.

Round Two - Heriot's 22, West 0; Watsonians 10, Preston Lodge 14; Jed-Forest 0, Kirkcaldy 15; Currie 5, Boroughmuir 24.

Semi-finals - Heriot's 48, Preston Lodge 0; Kirkcaldy 12, Boroughmuir 15.

Final - Heriot's 24, Boroughmuir 7.