W. of Scotland.. 29 Kilmarnock Falcons. 16

The sun shone, play careered from side to side, up and down, and passes were dropped, kicks missed, and running angles went astray.

Yes, it was early-season stuff, and while news tells of Edinburgh crowds dwindling, the story here was that spectators have, literally, gone to the West as a healthy number turned out to see the birth of yet another bird in rugby terms - the Falcons this time.

A few ''come on, Falcons'' having gone we were back to ''get into it, Kilmarnock'' and, as a few old wags will tell you, there are moves afoot to strangle the Falcon chick and get back to calling the team after the town alone.

Yes, there was good stuff at times, a good few paces up on any previous meeting of the clubs.

Prop David Jamieson had a rollicking good game for West, apart from being under pressure in the scrums from Gary Isaac, full back Guy Curtis is good enough to play for Glasgow, John Shaw, newly contracted by Glasgow, was every- where, while Phil Gordon and Kurt Graham stamped their imprint for Killie.

There was the obvious lack of hardness and technique up front, but it was a largely educational game for me in that it wasn't far off being a cracker.

Too much ball went aimlessly wide and too many players were required by both sets of forwards to free the ball. Why teams insist on putting eight forwards into so many rucks, to then fling the ball wide to where the pack can't reach, is a mystery - especially when the All Blacks teach us different lessons.

West got off to the perfect start, Simon Sheridan with a superb try after a break out of defence by Guy Curtis and Nicky Craig.

Yes, the Craigs were there in force with mum and dad watching, James watching, too, and three on the pitch. Any more out there?

Kilmarnock came back thanks to a Kurt Graham score, and Robbie Stewart's penalty gave the Ayrshiremen a half-time lead at 8-7.

It was short-lived, though. Curtis scythed through the middle from a finely weighted Graeme Thompson pass, and Richie Craig's conversion gave West the lead.

Robbie Stewart stroked a penalty, but tries from Jamieson and Mark Craig, seemed to put West out of sight.

Only a Barry Allan try, from sloppy lineout ball on West's own line, added to Kilmar-nock's scoring account and Richie Craig's penalty was the final counting act.

Scorers: West of Scotland - R Craig 1t, 3con, 1pen; G Curtis 1t; D Jamieson 1t; S Sheridan 1t. Kilmarnock Falcons - B Allan 1t; K Graham 1t; R Stewart 2p.

West of Scotland - G Curtis; N Craig, R Craig, I Steele, M Craig; G Thompson, B Service; D Jamieson, C Di Ciacca, S McGregor, G Douglas, S McKechnie, J Shaw, S Sheridan, D McVey.

Kilmarnock Falcons - R Stewart; C McRobert, S Bicknell, P Gordon, S Little; K Graham, J Sharp; G Isaac, S Crawford, G Smythe, S Ker, T Adams, B Allan, K Pattie, N Carswell.

Referee - J Yuile (Biggar).