Sources in Holland last night indicated that Rangers' new coach, Dick Advocaat, is planning a raid on his own national association to bring a second-in-command with him to Glasgow in the summer when he takes over at Ibrox from outgoing manager Walter Smith.

The man he has targeted is Bert van Lingen, one of the most highly respected coaches in Holland, where he is currently youth development officer with the Dutch FA. He has also been heavily involved in the last two Dutch World Cup campaigns, as assistant to Advocaat in the United States in l994 and as a trusted aide to Guus Hiddink on the road to France. Indeed, he has been invited by Hiddink to perform the same duties in the finals in the summer.

Advocaat has long held van Lingen in high regard. Both men have been disciples of Rinus Michels and, when Advocaat took over as coach of PSV Eindhoven, he asked van Lingen to join him. At the time, the new Rangers coach maintained: ''Bert is the man I want to work with here at PSV. There is no-one I respect more.''

However, van Lingen decided to remain with the national association. Now, though, it appears that he is ready join his old friend in Glasgow.

His attributes as a youth development coach will appeal to Rangers chairman David Murray and his closeness to Advocaat and his inter-national experience suggest that he will bring special talents to the job he is being offered.

Meanwhile, at Ibrox, the Italian defender, Lorenzo Amoruso, suffered yet another setback in training yesterday just a few days after coming through a reserve game after his seven-month spell out through injury. Amoruso went over on an ankle in training and will be out of action for a further two weeks.

Smith explained: ''There was no-one near him when it happened. He just twisted an ankle and there is a slight strain which will have him out of action for a couple of weeks.''

It is another injury blow to the Ibrox side, who lost their top-of-the-table position in midweek, when Old Firm rivals Celtic took over that prized spot.

In addition, striker Gordon Durie, who was knocked un- conscious after a clash of heads with Kilmarnock's Gary Holt, is to spend a third night in hospital. The 32-year-old Scotland striker was injured in the 1-1 drawat Rugby Park on Tuesday.

He had been expected to be discharged from the Southern General Hospital today, but he has been told to wait until doctors have studied test results. A hos-pital spokesman said: ''Mr Durie has undergone further tests today and the results have still to be evaluated. He will remain with us until they are.''

Durie, whose condition was described as ''comfortable and stable'', is expected to be out of football for up to four weeks.