A Danish national told police he had been driving on the wrong side of the road when he was involved in an accident in which a 14-year-old boy was killed, a court heard yesterday.

Mr Henning Korvel approached a policeman at the scene, it was claimed.

Andrew Adams died in the crash on the A93 Aberdeen to Ballater road on June 18. He had been the front-seat passenger in a car being driven by his neighbour, Mr Irvine Robertson, 18, of Milton of Tullich, Ballater. Mr Robertson, an apprentice mechanic, broke his leg in the smash and was off work for three and a half months.

Mr Korvel, whose address has been given as Turnerhall Shooting Lodge, Cambus O' May, Ballater, denies causing Andrew's death by dangerous driving.

Grampian Police Constable Gordon Brown told a jury trial at Stonehaven Sheriff Court yesterday that Korvel identified himself as the driver of one of the cars involved in the accident and said he had been driving on the wrong side of the road.

Mr Robertson said he had little recall of the accident, which took place on a bend near Moor House, Ballater: ''I was just driving round the road and I went round a corner and there was a car coming towards me on the wrong side of the road.''

Mr John Cullen, who was first on the scene, said he found Mr Korvel's passenger, Mr Rafael Berenguer, of Cordoba, Spain, wandering in the middle of the road: ''I got him to the side of the road and got him down. I then moved to the driver of the black car. I asked him if he was okay. He was conscious.''

Mr Cullen, an Army warrant officer who had been working with Aberdeen University's Officer Training Corps, said Mr Korvel said it was his fault, that he had been travelling on the wrong side of the road.

On moving to the other car, Mr Cullen did not initially see Andrew and checked Mr Robertson. ''He said, 'What the **** happened. He was on my side of the road','' said Mr Cullen.

The Army officer then tried to free Andrew, of Hillcrest Cottage, Tullich, Ballater, from the wreckage of Mr Robertson's Ford Fiesta. He said there had been no sign of a pulse on the schoolboy and the doors of the car had had to be forced open to get to him.

The trial, before Sheriff Alexander Jessop, continues.