June 30, 2003

Jodi Jones is reported missing by her mother around 10.40pm - 40 minutes after she had been due to return to her home in Parkhead Place, Easthouses, Midlothian. Her mutilated and almost-naked body is found between 11pm and midnight on a path, known locally as Roan's Dyke.

July 1

Lothian and Borders Police launches a murder investigation and describes the killing as "particularly violent".

July 2

Detectives reveal Jodi was the victim of a frenzied knife attack. Pupils at St David's Roman Catholic High School in Dalkeith hold two memorial services for her in the school.

July 3

Jodi's schoolmates begin the summer holidays with her killer still at large. Among the floral tributes near the path where her body was found is a bouquet of red and white roses from her boyfriend, Luke Mitchell.

July 4

A team of forensic officers search Mitchell's home in Dalkeith and take away a number of items.

July 7

A woman police officer retraces Jodi's steps during a reconstruction of the murdered teenager's last movements.

July 15

Jodi's mother, Judy, issues an appeal, read by her two sisters, for help in bringing her daughter's killer to justice.

July 18

An exhaustive search of the area where Jodi was murdered fails to uncover a weapon, police confirm.

July 21

Police set up roadblocks near Jodi's home in a fresh bid for a breakthrough. More than 600 motorists are questioned.

July 23

A top officer from outside the inquiry is drafted in to ensure police have missed nothing in the search for her killer.

August 14

Luke Mitchell is detained by police investigating Jodi's death. Mitchell had been questioned in routine inquiries a few days after her body was found but this is the first time he is detained. He is later released without charge.

August 20

Jodi's classmates return to school, but Mitchell is banned from attending the first days of the term because of fears for his safety.

August 22

Mitchell returns to school.

September 3

Hundreds of people gather at Gorebridge Parish Church in Midlothian to pay their final respects to Jodi. Mitchell, who was asked by the family to stay away from the funeral, gives his first media interview to Sky News. Asked if he had killed his girlfriend, Mitchell replies: "No. I never, I wouldn't."

October 2

It emerges Mitchell is to receive special tuition after a row with his school that kept him out of lessons for a month.

November 20

Mitchell is said to be unconcerned about being excluded from school. His solicitor Nigel Beaumont says Mitchell is now happy with arrangements for him to have one-to-one tuition.

November 21

Police submit a report to the procurator fiscal which names Luke Mitchell as the prime suspect for the murder.

January 8, 2004

It emerges that senior detectives on the case have called in the FBI for help.

April 14

Luke Mitchell is arrested and charged in connection with Jodi's murder.

His mother Corinne Mitchell, 45, and brother Shane, 22, are also arrested and charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice. Both will later be told at the trial that the charges against them are dropped.

April 15

Mitchell appears at Edinburgh sheriff court charged with Jodi's murder.

He makes no plea or declaration and is committed for further examination. The teenager, who appears in private, is remanded to secure accommodation.

He is also charged in relation to an allegation under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

April 22

Mitchell is told he will stand trial for Jodi's murder. He is fully committed for trial and remanded to secure accommodation after appearing in private for the second time at Edinburgh sheriff court.

July 24

Mitchell turns 16 and can be named publicly for the first time as the youth who will go on trial for Jodi's murder.

November 11

Mitchell goes on trial for Jodi's murder at the High Court in Edinburgh.

November 16

The trial is abandoned following the discharge of two jurors.

November 18

Trial restarts with a new jury.

November 26

Jodi's mother, Judy, fights back tears as she tells the court how her daughter kissed her goodbye as she left the family home for the last time.

December 8

The jury are taken to Roan's Dyke and shown the wooded area where Jodi's body was found.

December 9

Jodi's sister Janine gives evidence in a temporary courtroom at the Laigh Hall in Parliament House, where a replica of the wall behind which Jodi's body was found has been specially constructed.

December 13

Jodi's grandmother Alice Walker tells the trial how she took part in a search party which found the girl's body.

December 16

A knife pouch with the initials "JJ" and numerals "666" written on it is found in Mitchell's bedroom. The empty pouch also has the dates 1989-2003 written on it.

January 14

Luke's mother Corinne denies lying to protect him. She tells the court: "My son did not kill Jodi Jones."

January 17

The jury is told Luke Mitchell will not be called as a witness.

January 21

Luke Mitchell is found guilty of the murder of Jodi Jones.