Glasgow 22, Munster 17,

IF the New Anniesland experience is anything to go by, the

introduction of fresh opposition for the Scottish districts must be

voted a success.

Glasgow were asked more questions by Irish champions-elect Munster

than they would be in normal circumstances, and answered most of them


Again it was left to the prolific boot of David Barrett to provide the

points, but all of his colleagues played their part in securing the

territory for his pots at goal.

Glasgow recovered from early scrummage pressure to more than hold

their own but there must have been disappointment in the home camp that

Shade Munro and Malcolm Norval were unable to secure more line-out

possession of sufficient quality to give their backs room to move.

In criticising Shade Munro's touchline performance -- and there is no

greater self critic than the big fellow -- it should, however, be

pointed out that he scrummaged effectively and played a significant role

in the important ruck and maul duties.

There was an Irish feel to the proceedings when the programme

announced that a Glasgow XI were facing their Munster counterparts, but

there certainly seemed to be 15 apiece on the field.

Munster, unbeaten this season and poised to win the inter-provincial

crown if they draw with Ulster a week on Saturday, looked far from

championship material at times and took some time to find the pace of

the game.

As expected, their British Lions -- Richard Wallace and Mick Galwey --

played a large part in all that was good and they were ably supported by

the fiery flanker Eddie Halvey, while skipper Pat Murray shrugged off

early mishandling to torment the Glasgow backs.

Cammy Little played a stormer behind the hard working Glasgow pack,

but we longed for the backs to find more space to show their obvious


Barrett's three penalty goals in the first half were answered by a

George O'Sullivan penalty goal and a try from Stephen McIvor off the

thrust of his centres.

It was Fergus Wallace's try, though, from a well-worked free kick ploy

and Barrett's conversion which gave Glasgow half-time advantage.

O'Sullivan used his intriguing, round-the-corner kicking style to pot

three second half penalty goals, but two more from the boot of Barrett

were enough to give the home side a well-deserved win.

The Glasgow selectors, incidentally, must have been reasonably happy

as they have named an unchanged team and bench of replacement for next

week's game against Connacht.

Kevin McKenzie once again showed just how close he is coming to

grabbing Kenny Milne's title as top honcho in the hooking department.

He was always involved, and as usual lived with his old pal Brian

Ireland, on, or even sometimes just a smidgeon over, the offside line.

Those who follow rugby at Stirling, and those with Glasgow interests

at heart, should be grateful Icy is around, no matter what height he is.

There was satisfaction in the Glasgow camp that the established stars

had been well supported by the re-introduction of a revitalised Calum


There is work to be done, but not half as much as has to be done down

Munster way if they are to be crowned champions.

Glasgow -- D N Barrett (West); A S M Turner (Stirling), C T Simmers

(Edinburgh Academicals), I C Jardine, K M Logan (both Stirling); C G

MacGregor (Glasgow Academicals), C E Little (GHK); J T Gibson, K D

McKenzie, G B Robertson, M Norval (all Stirling), D S Munro, F D

Wallace, captain (both GHK), J Brough, B Ireland (both Stirling).

Replacement -- G T McKay (Stirling).

Munster -- P Murray (Shannon), captain; R Wallace, P Danaher (both

Garryowen), B Walsh (Cork Constitution), B Begley (Old Crescent); G

O'Sullivan (Cork Constitution), S McIvor (Garryowen); P McCarthy (Cork

Constitution), K Wood (Garryowen), P Wallace (Blackrock College), R

Costelloe (Garryowen), G Fulcher (Cork Constitution), E Halvey, M Galwey

(both Shannon), I Toland.

Referee -- J Bacigalupo (Edinburgh Wanderers).