Albion Rovers 1,

Partick Thistle 11

HE demanded no slip-up this time, but never in his wildest dreams

could Thistle manager John Lambie have visualised such a goals tally.

Thistle's Scottish Cup challenge fell at the first hurdle against

Cowdenbeath last season, and Lambie sent his men on to Fir Park last

night demanding that there be no repetition in the League Cup.

The Firhill side proceeded to inflict Rovers' biggest ever defeat but

it took them 26 minutes to open the scoring, and a soft goal it was.

A long clearance by keeper Craig Nelson was misjudged by sweeper

Eamonn Mirner, and Albert Craig had plenty of time and space to beat

Ronnie McConnachie from 12 yards.

Their second highlighted the gulf in class. Thistle made progress down

Rovers' left before Issac English's low cross was netted by Gerry


In 54 minutes English hit home Britton's cut-back and defender Willie

Jamieson got in on the act when he headed home from close range on the

hour mark.

Three minutes later Bobby Law curled the ball in before Craig nipped

in for his second in 70 minutes. Sixty seconds later came the first of

Ian Cameron's four goals, and the former Aberdeen midfield player added

further strikes in 74, 77, and 82 minutes.

The final nail in Rovers' coffin came right on time, when substitute

Roddy Grant completed the scoring. Rovers had scored in 75 minutes

through Martin Scott.

Rovers manager Tommy Gemmell said: ''My players chucked it. For the

first half-hour you might have wondered which was the premier division

team but we lost two bad goals.

''I told them at half-time not to be caught by a sucker punch but

that's exactly what happened. After that they stopped playing and

started ball-watching, and I absolve only my front players, Scott and

Kerrigan. I'm more angry than anything else -- angry at the lack of

fight and lack of pride.

''Thistle worked well for each other but they got their goals rather


-------------------------------------------------Raith Rovers 1,

Arbroath 2

ARBROATH pulled off a surprise but it was a deserved win for Danny

McGrain's side.

The home side were a goal down after 11 minutes. Shaun Dennis missed a

through pass from Stuart Sorbie, and David Elliot raced on to round

keeper Tom Carson and shoot home.

Seven minutes later Colin Cameron equalised but Craig Martin scored

the winner two minutes into the second half.

McGrain said: ''A cup run would be nice for the club and great for the

players but two points against Montrose on Saturday would be more


Raith manager Jimmy Nicholl said: ''We were very slack defensively and

both Arbroath goals were an absolute joke.''

-------------------------------------------------Dunfermline Athletic


East Stirlingshire 0

(After extra time)

CRAIG Robertson and Hamish French rescued Dunfermline.

East Stirling played well but tired in extra time. Robertson netted

after 99 minutes when he headed home from an Alan Preston free kick.

French wrapped it up 12 minutes later.