AN Iraq veteran has been jailed for 28 months for threatening to bomb a mosque.

A court was told former soldier Fraser Rae, 28, who suffered psychologically after leaving the Army, shouted "I will blow this place up" as he walked towards Glasgow Central Mosque on September 23.

He entered the building and made his way to the main prayer room, with around 30 adults and children in it, yelling: "Christians can do it too, boom."

He was approached and restrained by members of the mosque and physically removed from the hall.

Rae, who served with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was arrested and taken to Cathcart police station.

He became abusive towards Pakistani people in general being in Britain and suggested they were responsible for bombings in Iraq.

Rae said to police: "I was in Iraq and all they did was bomb. My brothers in the army got blown up."

Rae, of Johnstone, Renfrewshire, pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to threatening to blow the mosque up and inferring he had a bomb by concealing his arm behind his back.

He also admitted carrying scissors, shouting and swearing and making racist remarks to police.

Procurator-fiscal depute Adam Roberts told the court a competition involving around 300 adults and children had finished shortly before Rae made his way there and that most people had left the main prayer hall.

Rae was seen walking towards the entrance of the building at around 4pm and was heard threatening to blow the building up.

He then walked into the mosque with his right hand out in front of him and his left hand up his back and repeatedly shouted: "Christians can do it too, boom."

He terrified a 15-year-old boy, who was in the car park when he heard Rae say: "Run, run, run, I've got a bomb."

A caretaker spotted Rae coming in shouting and swearing as he went down corridors and into the main prayer room and went to tell Nazir Ahmed, a member of the mosque's executive committee.

Mr Roberts told the court: "Mr Ahmed then entered the main prayer hall. He observed the accused standing in the middle of it. The accused was carrying a bottle in his left hand and had his right hand tucked behind his back and into the waistband of his trousers, under his jacket."

The court heard those in the room seemed to be very scared and were standing a distance away from Rae.

Mr Roberts added: "Mr Ahmed walked towards the accused. As he did, the accused stepped back away from Mr Ahmed and twice said, 'Stay back, I've got a gun'. The accused then said 'I'll shoot you'."

Mr Ahmed continued towards Rae and some mosque-goers surrounded Rae and removed him from the prayer room where he was restrained.

He shouted, swore and made racist remarks while he was in a police car and in Cathcart police office, and also told them: "I shouldn't have done it."

The court was told a dog trained to discover explosives searched the building, but nothing was found.

Defence lawyer Mark Chambers said his client was remorseful and it was out of character for him.

John Dunn, procurator-fiscal for West of Scotland, later said: "Everyone has the right to live free from violence, threats, intimidation or the fear of harassment or abuse stemming from the prejudice of another person.

"To be targeted because of the colour of skin or faith is unacceptable."

Detective Inspector Joe McKerns, of Strathclyde Police, said: "We will not tolerate any acts targeted against minority ethnic communities and will take robust and prompt action."