It was billed as the ultimate symbol of protest against Baroness Thatcher in the week between her death and funeral.

But despite gathering an impressive number of sales and downloads, Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead reached only No. 2 in the Official Chart Show on Radio 1, with Duke Dumont holding on to the top spot.

As predicted, the BBC did not play the 1939 The Wizard of Oz song in full, opting instead for a five-second clip from the recording,during a news report to explain why the song has entered the charts and why Lady Thatcher was so divisive.

A rival song, I'm in Love with Margaret Thatcher, by the Notsensibles, which had been heavily plugged by fans of the former premier, charted at at only No.35.

Meanwhile, 16 people are in police custody today after hundreds of demonstrators gathered at a London landmark to protest against Baroness Thatcher's legacy and mark her death with a party.

Metropolitan Police officers made the arrests - mostly for drunk and disorderly - in the early hours as crowds revelled in Trafalgar Square, Whitehall and surrounding streets.

Those arrested are aged between 18 and 44 and remain at a central London police station.

Of those arrested, eight suspects were taken into custody for being drunk and disorderly and two were arrested for assaulting officers.

Union members from across the UK, who had fierce battles with Lady Thatcher in the 1980s, rubbed shoulders with those demonstrating against today's welfare cuts.

Members of the National Union of Mineworkers travelled to the capital from North East England, with others joining them from Scotland and Wales.

UK Uncut members, protesting about welfare cuts, also joined the demonstration.

Protests in Scotland, which had been expected to attract hundreds of revellers, drew only a small number of people and passed off without incident.

Old and young turned out last night in London to mark the former prime minister's death in a "celebration" that was many years in the planning.

Despite the depth of feeling and a large police presence, there was no serious trouble.

A police spokesman said the last of the protesters left Trafalgar Square at about 2am and there were no reports of any damage to property.

During the protest people drank cider and champagne, waving sparklers and letting off party poppers - and they chanted slogans about Lady Thatcher, who died at The Ritz hotel on Monday.

One protester, drinking from a mug that read "I still hate Thatcher", said the event - initially planned by now defunct anarchist group Class War - had been years in the planning.

The 49-year-old, who gave his name only as Steve, said: "I was here during the Poll Tax riot in the 1990s."

He added: "I've come from Brighton to be here today. I believe it's something not to be celebrated, but something that needs to be marked in history."

Fergus Ray Murray, 34, from north London, made an effigy of Lady Thatcher from recycled materials, which was cheered as he carried it through the crowds.

He said: "It's a chance to lay her to rest as much as possible."

Former miner Dave Douglas from Newcastle, part of the delegation from the miners' union, said Lady Thatcher was a "terrible woman".

He said: "We're absolutely furious at this image that is being presented on television, that the whole country is in mourning.

"In the north of England, in Scotland, Wales and the Midlands, people are celebrating the fact she's gone because we don't support what she did to our community, our industry and our unions."

The emotion of the occasion was almost too much for Fred Reynolds, 80, from Sidcup, Kent, who tearfully said: "She destroyed the way of life in our community."

Mr Reynolds, who lost his job as a Daily Express union official during Lady Thatcher's time in power, added: "I don't want to see any violence at all tonight.

"What causes the violence is youngsters, who don't even know what it's all about, drinking and treating it as a night out.

"But it's not. We're here to protest about what she's done and the misery she caused in the country, especially for the miners."

Security was tight, with police officers stationed throughout the square. Scotland Yard said they had an "appropriate policing operation" in place.

The Greater London Authority had also brought in security officers to manage the crowds.