Detectives investigating the vandalism of a Union Flag at Scotland's busiest station today released images of a man they want to speak to.

CCTV images of a man were issued by British Transport Police in connection with the incident at Glasgow Central station on Armistice Day.

Investigations are continuing into the incident - which took place just two hours after Scotland fell silent to remember those who gave their lives for their country.

At around 1pm on Monday, November 11, the Union Flag on the station's War Memorial was taken down from its mount and broken.

British Transport Police would not say if they were aware of the motive for the vandalism, or whether it was connected to the independence referendum.

They said they need to speak to the man as a "matter of urgency", as they believe he "may be able to assist with their inquiries".

The man police wish to trace is seen wearing a dark jacket, dark trousers, and a large backpack. He is also carrying a light-coloured bag by his side.

Detective Constable Derek Jackson, who is leading the inquiry, today appealed for anyone with information about the incident to come forward.

He said: "I am appealing to anyone who recognises the man in the photograph to contact me as a matter of urgency. Anyone with information should contact British Transport Police."

Earlier that day, people gathered to pay their respects at Central Station as a new memorial, dedicated to railway staff who died in conflicts, was unveiled by veterans.

The new stone sits beneath the bronze memorial to the Great War at the Gordon Street entrance.

A Network Rail spokesman said: "We are working closely with the police to help with their enquiries and would join their appeal to the public for more information.

"The station holds an Armistice Day service every year to honour those who have died for their country and to have the memorial damaged in this way is totally unacceptable."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 405040 or by texting 61016.