The grisly murder of a woman in a reported act of cannibalism which saw her alleged killer die after being Tasered by police has left villagers stunned.

Officers were called to a homeless hostel in Argoed, south Wales, to deal with reports of a man, named locally as Matthew Williams, carrying out a horrific attack on a woman early this morning.

It resulted in police firing a 50,000-volt Taser at their 34-year-old suspect before restraining him.

A 22-year-old woman died from her injuries at the scene.

Gwent Police are treating the woman's death as murder and are not looking for anyone else.

But while the force has refused to comment on the specifics of the incident, sources confirmed she had received substantial facial injuries.

As well as murder investigation, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) watchdog has launched its own probe following the man's death.

Argoed county and community councillor Leon Gardiner said the village was still in a state of shock.

He said: "This has hit the community for six.

"I have lived here and represented Argoed for over 30 years and this is the worst tragedy that has happened for us as a village."

The Sirhowy Arms Hotel, where the incident unfolded, was a popular local pub until it was turned into a B&B catering for up to 26 guests.

The red-brick hotel has nine rooms - five doubles, three singles and a family room. But over the last few years it has been used by Caerphilly Council to provide temporary accommodation for homeless people.

Officers received the alarm call to attend the B&B at around 1.20am today.

A Gwent Police spokeswoman said: "We were called by a concerned member of the public to an incident at the Sirhowy Arms Hotel in Argoed, Blackwood, where it was reported that a man was attacking a woman.

"A Taser was discharged and a 34-year-old local man was arrested.

"The woman, aged 22, from Blackwood, was located with injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene.

"Whilst under arrest, the man became unresponsive. Officers and paramedics administered first aid but he was also pronounced dead at the scene."

The IPCC said it was conducting its own inquiry into how officers responded to the incident.

An IPCC spokeswoman said: "The IPCC is independently investigating an incident overnight in Blackwood in which a man and a woman have died.

"Gwent Police referred the incident to the IPCC early this morning."

While the identities of the dead pair have not been released, it is believed they were known to each other.

Gwent Police said they would not comment on reports that the man and woman were in a relationship.