Hibernian and Rangers have escaped punishment by the football's governing body in relation to the disorder at the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden.

The decision taken by a judicial panel dismissed a Scottish Football Assocation complaint that called for the clubs to cover the cost of the destruction to the national stadium.

But Hibs, in welcoming the decision confirmed it has paid a sum, so far undisclosed, to cover for damage to the pitch.

The Hibernian Supporters Association has been raising £4,733 to pay for damage to the goalposts, corner flags, pitch and seats and in seven days has raised £1,424.

The judicial panel decision had meant that neither club were obliged to pay for the the damage caused at Hampden.

The main decision to reject the pursuit of Hibs for damages, mean the SFA case against Rangers also had to be thrown out.

The panel unanimously dismissed the complaint as "irrelevant" saying it can find no provision in the current rules to punish the clubs.

Hibs triumphed 3-2 to win the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years on May 21, but the post match celebrations were marred by scenes of crowd disorder and a pitch invasion.

The clubs were alleged to have breached disciplinary rule 311, which states "damage was sustained to Hampden... as a consequence of misbehaviour by supporters".

A report by Sheriff Principal Edward Bowen QC into the disorder suggested a reserve of police should be ready to deal with possible pitch invasions in high profile matches and said new laws should be brought in to make pitch invasion a criminal offence. 

Hibs said: "Receipt of the complaint was the first quantification to the club of the damage to the pitch at Hampden. The club has today paid that sum to the Scottish FA.

Leeann Dempster, Hibs chief executive, said: “We hope that this now brings an end to the matter and the Scottish FA can concentrate on implementing the recommendations made by the Independent Commissioner, Sheriff Principal Bowen.”

Fans entered the pitch at Hampden after Hibernian won their first Scottish Cup in 114 years.

Thousands of Hibs fans jumped the barriers at the final whistle and a number of Rangers fans also came on to the pitch.

The pitch invasion delayed the presentation of the trophy and there was no lap of honour by Hibs players.

Rangers players were not able to pick up their cup final medals.