A MAN who has laid claim to a golden crown held by police has been ordered to provide more details before he can persuade a court to allow an expert to examine it.

Murat Aksakalli is seeking to have the valuable ancient artifact released for forensic soil analysis to be carried out on the treasure by a professor.

But a judge at the Court of Session in Edinburgh told Mr Aksakalli further information would have to be provided before a decision could be reached. Lady Stacey said she could understand why there were concerns about the security of the crown.

Mr Aksakalli, of Northfield Grove, Edinburgh, and the Turkish authorities are embroiled in a dispute about the ownership of the crown or wreath. The matter was originally taken to court by Sir Stephen House, the former Chief Constable of Police Scotland. He originally said that the item was an authentic golden wreath dating from the 4th century BC, which would be used as a funeral gift for royalty or nobility. It was composed of 92 to 93 per cent ancient gold.

Police took possession of it in 2010, but after no criminal proceedings were brought Scotland’s senior law officer, the Lord Advocate, instructed it be returned to its owner. Both the Turkish government and Mr Aksakalli have claimed ownership.

The chief constable said that agents for Mr Aksakalli had asserted that it was a family heirloom and that the Turkish government said experts who examined photos of it believe it was taken from a site in their country.

The police continue to hold the crown by order of the court but no longer have a live interest in the action.

Mr Aksakalli has now made a motion to have the jewellery released for expert, independent examination.

Steven Jansch, for the Turkish authorities, told Lady Stacey the item was estimated to be worth about £250,000 and maintained there was a lack of detail about arrangements for the valuable asset to be seen by the expert.

Lady Stacey said more information was required about who was to examine the item, how it was to be done and where. The case was continued until January.