Seven people have died in accidents on Scotland’s roads and waters in the last week prompting fears from safety campaigners.

Five people have died amid a number of road crashes across Scotland, including three motorcyclists among those killed.

A 64-year-old man was killed following a crash between his Honda bike and a silver Vauxhall Vivaro van on the A82 between Ardlui and Tarbet, Argyll and Bute, at about midday on Monday.

The biker was airlifted to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow but was pronounced dead on arrival. The 33-year-old driver of the van was not injured.

On Sunday, the driver of a Triumph Thruxton travelling north on the A68 collided with an Audi A6 travelling south near Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders.

The 53-year-old suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second motorcycle travelling north also crashed with the car while trying to avoid the collision, with the 45-year-old driver sustaining non-life-threatening injuries.

Another crash in the Scottish Borders on Saturday near Hawick saw an orange KTM motorcycle collide with a parked blue Kia Sportage at around 5.15pm.

The 30-year-old biker was taken to Borders General Hospital with serious injuries, where he died.

Meanwhile, Police Scotland has named a man who died in a crash on the A75 near Creetown in Dumfries and Galloway.

Alan Neill, from Northern Ireland, was involved in a three-vehicle crash at about 2.45am on Saturday.

The 70-year-old's Ford Ranger pick-up and a silver Suzuki Swift were in a collision with a Scania lorry on the A75 near to the Castle Cary Holiday Park.

A 43-year-old woman who had been driving the car was taken by air ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow with serious back injuries.

Officers have also named a 50-year-old woman who died in a crash on the A77 near Ballantrae, South Ayrshire, on Saturday.

Trisha McIlwraith from the Carrick area was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Scotland is also appealing for information over a serious collision in the Gorgie area of Edinburgh on Friday.

The incident took place in Gorgie Road, near the junction with Balgreen Road, at around 8.20pm.

It involved a silver Hyundai i40 private hire taxi and a red Triumph motorbike.

The 53-year-old biker was taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with serious, but not life-threatening, injuries.

He was also arrested in connection with alleged drink-driving and inquiries are ongoing.

Constable Debra Cowie, of Edinburgh's road policing unit, said: "I want to thank the witnesses who offered support to the biker at the scene and for their co-operation with officers.

"We're now urging anyone who may have witnessed this collision and has not yet spoken to us, or anyone who has information which may be relevant, to get in touch."

A spokesman from road safety charity Brake said the "number of tragic crashes in Scotland this weekend is truly heartbreaking".

He said: "Whilst the cause of these crashes are still unknown, we urge all drivers and riders to drive for the road conditions and keep well within the speed limits.

"Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable road users and so it is vital that all riders wear the right gear to ensure that they have the best chance of protection in the event of any crash."

Meanwhile campaigners have urgently warned of the dangers of swimming in Loch Lomond after two people died in the space of a week.

Owais Malik, 17, could not be resuscitated after the Loch Lomond Rescue Boat crew pulled him from the loch on Sunday evening.

Police received a report of a man in trouble at around 7.16pm and asked the rescue boat crew to go to a beach at Culag, around two miles north of Luss.

Owais was rushed to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley but was pronounced dead by medical staff there.

He is said to have been at the loch with his family when the tragedy occurred.

Read more: Teenage boy dies in hospital after being pulled from water at Loch Lomond

It follows the death 25-year-old Rebin Rehan, who is understood to have drowned in the loch last Wednesday evening.

He was reported missing at around 9pm that night near the Maid of the Loch and Drumkinnon Bay area.

A spokesman for the Loch Lomond Rescue Boat team asked members of the public to avoid swimming in these open waters, and to be wary of shallow depths which may quickly drop off to very deep water.

Police Scotland has also urged members of the public not to enter the water, regardless of the weather and swimming ability.

Dumbarton police inspector Roddy MacNeill said: “Although the weather is fine, the water temperature doesn’t rise a great deal and can cause cold water shock, in addition to the unknown depth of the water, which varies greatly over short distances.

“I would ask people determined to enter the water, not to do so if not fully confident that you are of sufficient ability to be safe and stay within their depth," he added.

After the recent hot weather, the number of people visiting the loch and the surrounding area has increased.

A ‘stay safe’ warning has been published on the rescue boat’s Facebook page urging people to be prepared before taking a dip.

Gordon Watson, chief executive of Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, said: "We would advise anyone swimming or taking part in any water based activity in the National Park to be aware of their own capabilities and make sure they’re well prepared before getting in the water."

He advised visitors to check information on the park's website and social media channels for up-to-date information on how to enjoy the water safely.