CELTIC have called for talks in an Old Firm tickets allocation row after confirming it will restrict sales to Rangers fans at the next derby clash in September.

The club have acted after Rangers made a declaration in May to end a mutual agreement which allowed more than 7000 fans go to the games at Ibrox and Parkhead.

Celtic have now now confirmed they will follow suit on Rangers’ plans to offer about 800 tickets to their Glasgow rivals at the Old Firm derby on September 2,  but have called for discussions on the matter involving the Scottish Professional Football League governing body.

The club said: “Celtic Football Club has confirmed that it will issue approximately 800 tickets to visiting supporters for the fixture against Rangers at Celtic Park on September 2. This mirrors the decision announced recently by Rangers.

Celtic call for talks in Old Firm ticket allocation row while restricting sales to Rangers fans

“This is not a development we welcome and it is unfortunate that the initial decision came without any form of discussion. The previous arrangements worked well for both sets of supporters as well as contributing to the status of the fixture as a sporting occasion.

“Following the unilateral action by Rangers, we cannot allow our own supporters to be doubly penalised, by having access to the away fixture reduced so dramatically, while not being offered the opportunity to maximise our own support at Celtic Park.

READ MORE: Celtic and Rangers ticket allocations for Old Firm matches to be cut next season

“The rules of the SPFL call for ‘reasonable’ provision to be made for visiting supporters, without being specific on numbers. Within that context, we would welcome further discussions involving the two clubs and the SPFL.

“Celtic’s decision relates, at this stage, to the match on September 2, 2018.

“Meanwhile, Celtic will closely monitor the implications for crowd management and other factors surrounding these fixtures. We will at all times be guided by the interests of our own supporters and the reputation of Scottish football.”

Rangers had said in May the decision to cut tickets was due to "unprecedented demand" for season tickets follow the arrival of manager Steven Gerrard.

Over 40,000 fans had renewed their season tickets following the appointment.
Rangers fans have previously petitioned the Rangers board for the removal of rival supporters from the Broomloan Road stand with over 5,000 taking part in a survey.

The poll overwhelmingly backed the cutting of Celtic’s ticket allocation.

A Rangers statement said at the time: “Our supporters will always come first and as many of them as practically possible must be accommodated.

“That is why the club has decided on an overall increase in the total number of season tickets available to our supporters to what will be a historical record."

READ MORE: Neil Cameron: Celtic v Rangers fixture will never be the same again​

“An unfortunate consequence of putting our supporters first is that this increased demand negatively impacts on the number of tickets which will be allocated to visiting teams.

This means all visiting fans will now be situated in the corner between the Broomloan and Sandy Jardine Stands.

“We believe that this is the best possible outcome after considering the unprecedented levels of support from Rangers fans.”