An Aberdeen fan who stormed the pitch during last year's Celtic versus Aberdeen League Cup Final said he was "deeply sorry" - and revealed it was a £500 drunken dare.

Dons-mad Gavin Elphinstone, 25, was speaking after he was freed from HMP Barlinnie Prison, in Glasgow, yesterday.

He said was "absolutely steaming" after a heavy day's drinking, and had responded to a chat message on his phone daring anyone in his group to go on the pitch for £500.

The barber from Kincorth, Aberdeen, was jailed for 140 days after he admitted breach of the peace and assaulting two police officers. He was also given an eight-month football banning order. 

He vaulted a barrier, ran on to the pitch at Hampden Park, in Glasgow, and waved a scarf above his head before intercepting a pass from Celtic goalkeeper Scott Bain (on 2 Dec 2018).

He was quickly confronted by stewards and then apprehended by police officers before being pelted with a flare.

Gavin said that on the day of the game he travelled to Glasgow early and admits he had "quite a few pints".

He said: "I was absolutely steaming and can't remember much of it. I behaved foolishly.

"I hadn't checked my phone in a while and, during the second half, I noticed someone had written in our group chat, daring one of us to go on the pitch for £500.

"I thought it would be funny, so I ran on and only intended to go on to the grass area next to the pitch, but the stewards seemed to panic and came at me, so I ran onto the pitch. 

"I don't really remember kicking the ball. I woke up the next day in a cell with a burnt leg as someone had thrown a flare at me."

He admitted he'd "behaved foolishly". 

He said: "I'd like to apologise to the police for assaulting them.

"It wasn't intentional. I didn't set out to hurt them but I respect I have admitted that in court.

"I also want to apologise to Aberdeen FC. I did not mean to embarrass the club."

Gavin is known in Aberdeen for his work in the community, where he often cuts the hair of homeless people.

He said he was shocked to be jailed as he had expected a community-based sentence and was fearful of going to the prison, known locally as "the Big Hoose". The jail term meant he could not spend Christmas with his five-year-old daughter Lily-Alex.

He said: "It was scary going to that prison. There were slashings and stabbings every day but I just kept my head down.

"I was particularly worried being someone from Aberdeen in a place full of Glaswegians.

"I got a job in the prison on day one, serving meals and collecting towels. 

"I also cut prisoners' hair and the guards were so impressed they asked me to cut their hair too.

"People were paying me in bags of protein and chocolate bars to have their hair cut.

"I kept myself busy, but the hardest part was not being able to see my little girl at Christmas."

He said the worst aspect of the experience was bringing shame on his family.

"I didn't like being portrayed in some parts of the media as a 'demon barber' and a yob and a thug,"he said. 

"To me, a thug is someone violent. I just had a bit to drink at a football match and went overboard - something I am deeply sorry for."

He added: "I've also got a football banning order for eight months, and I'd like to get it reduced, if possible."

The order prevents him attending any association match in the UK and also affects overseas travel for games. 

Mr Elphinstone will be able to resume his job as a barber at The Men's Emporium on Thistle Street in Aberdeen.

Last night he also returned to the streets to cut the hair of the homeless community in the city.