A pitch invasion and supporters destroying a disabled shelter at Rugby Park marred the opening weekend of the Scottish football season.

Fans flooded onto the pitch after Connor Goldson scored a late winner for Rangers to give them an opening day victory. However, it was the chaotic scenes following the late winner and fan behaviour overall that marred the occasion. 

Rangers supporters reportedly jumped onto the roof of the disabled enclosure causing it to cave in. 

READ MORE: Investigation after roof collapses at Rugby Park 

As a result, disabled supporters were evacuated with the remainder having to watch the game from the pitchside. 

Chairman of the Rangers Disabled Supporters Club Billy Paterson said that it was "pure luck" that no one was seriously injured. 

Earlier, travelling supporters had faced a delay accessing the ground with many missing the start of the match due to the large number heading into the ground. 

There are unconfirmed reports that an emergency exit was opened before the game to allow fans without a ticket into the ground. 

HeraldScotland: Rangers fans flooded onto the pitch at Rugby Park Rangers fans flooded onto the pitch at Rugby Park

Rangers supporters liaison officer, Greg Marshall, wrote on Twitter: "The club are aware of incidents prior to the match where a ticketing access failure led to a large number of supporters remaining outside at kick-off.

"We have requested Kilmarnock investigate this issue."

A spokeswoman for the police said: "An investigation is underway following a pitch incursion at the Kilmarnock versus Rangers match on Sunday 4 August 2019.

"The incident resulted in the roof of a shelter collapsing and one man being injured. He received medical treatment at the ground and our enquiries are ongoing.

"Four men were arrested in connection with breaching the peace."

Police also confirmed they aided Kilmarnock officials in managing the turnstiles issue at the start of the game. 

READ MORE: Rangers must be at their very best for Europa League tie against Midtjylland

A Rangers spokesman said: "Thankfully no one was seriously injured and we have asked for a full debrief of this incident. The appropriate action will then be taken. 

"We have also asked Kilmarnock to investigate a second safety issue, the failure of their ticketing system, which left a large number of fans outside the stadium after kick-off."