A schoolboy who suffered an electric shock on a Glasgow railway line last week has died in hospital.

The 12-year-old came into contact with the overhead powerlines on the tracks close to Ashgill Road on Sunday August 18.

He was rushed to hospital where he remained in a critical condition for a number of days.

British Transport Police have now confirmed that the boy, who has not yet been named,  died in hospital last night.

Inspector Alasdair McWhirter from British Transport Police, said: “This is a truly tragic incident, and our thoughts and deepest condolences are with the boy’s family and friends.

READ MORE: Boy critical after being shocked by cable on railway in Glasgow

“We have specially trained officers supporting his family during this incredibly difficult time and I would ask that their privacy is please respected while they come to terms with their loss.

“We have no reason to believe there were any suspicious circumstances to this incident and we will be preparing a report for the Procurator Fiscal.”

Any witnesses who haven’t already spoken to police can contact BTP by sending a text to 61016 or by calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 384 of 18/08.