Police have arrested a 14-year-old boy in connection with a blaze at a Dunfermline high school.

More than 80 firefighters were still at the scene of the "very large and complex" blaze at Woodmill High School this morning.

The blaze at Woodmill High School was being fought by 15 fire appliances and two height appliances since the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was called at 5.05pm on Sunday.

The teenager is due to appear at Dunfermline Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Police thanked members of the public who came forward with information in relation to the incident.

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Stuart Stevens, the incident commander,  said: “We have worked through the night in challenging conditions to contain this fire and prevent further spread within the building.

"Through effective planning, we have now surrounded the fire and we are working to extinguish the flames.

"However this remains a large and complex incident and we will remain in attendance for some time."

He added: "Our advice remains that members of the public should avoid the area to allow access for emergency service vehicles.

"I would like to thank our partners, the community and our firefighters for their professionalism and dedication as we work to bring this incident to a safe conclusion."

The fire is believed to have started in the Department of Additional Support (DAS) and spread to the school dining hall.

Fife council said the fire appears to be contained in the DAS unit and the dining hall and hoped there would be little damage to the main building.

But until they can be sure about the scale of the damage, pupils have been told they need to stay home until further notice.

Smoke from the blaze could be smelt from at least two miles away.

The council said: "Terrible news that Woodmill High School Department of Additional Support (DAS) building is on fire. Fire appliances are at the scene but it looks to be quite a significant fire.

"Obviously we want to keep disruption to a minimum..."

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service asked members of the public to avoid the area to allow for emergency service access.

There have been no reported casualties. The school, which is located about 20 miles north-west of Edinburgh, announced it would be closed to all students on Monday.