One of Scotland's top police officers has urged marchers and protesters in Glasgow this weekend to act peacefully following last week's riot.

Two Irish republican marches are taking place in the city on Saturday after the city council announced on Thursday it would not to revoke permission.

The council decided after police advice not to overturn the decision to permit the parades.

The decision follows violent scenes last Friday in Govan as loyalist protesters disrupted an Irish Unity march by the James Connolly Flute Band.

Police in riot gear had to keep factions separate and bins were set alight.

Two men were arrested over alleged breach of the peace.

READ MORE: Republican marches will go-ahead after Glasgow sectarian riot

Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins said "significant" numbers of police, including specialised officers, will be deployed across the city on Saturday afternoon.

A Cairde Na Heireann (Calton Republicans) march expected to attract 100 participants starts at 2pm on Millroad Street, Calton, and ends at Clyde Street in the city centre.

Meanwhile, 300 people are expected to take part in the Friends of Irish Republican Prisoners Welfare Association (IRPWA) parade which starts at 3pm at Blythswood Square and ends at Barrowlands Park in the Gallowgate.

HeraldScotland:

Flashback to last Friday's Govan disturbance.

The council decided on Wednesday not to revoke authorisation for the two marches on Saturday, with the local authority's chief executive saying options are limited by the legal right to march and protest.

However, the council warned the decisions could change if the situation alters and said Police Scotland and the local authority will be monitoring the circumstances surrounding the events.

READ MORE: Republican group promise 'fightback' against loyalists after Govan riots 

Mr Higgins said: "Extensive planning has taken place all this week and a comprehensive policing operation will be place for before, during and after the public processions planned for Glasgow city centre on Saturday, September 7 2019.

"Without going into specific numbers, I can confirm that we will have a significant deployment of conventional and specialist resources across the city.

"Police Scotland has to balance the right of people who wish to take part in the processions, under the conditions agreed by Glasgow City Council, and those who wish to protest peacefully and lawfully.

"I am appealing that those taking part should do so in a peaceful and lawful manner, which will allow us to facilitate the rights of all in terms of freedom of expression.

READ MORE: Two men arrested after trouble at Irish unity march causes riot scenes in Glasgow 

"I want to re-emphasise that anyone intent on becoming involved in any kind of antisocial or criminal behaviour will be dealt with promptly."

Organisers of both of Saturday's marches met with the council's chief executive Annemarie O'Donnell and Police Scotland officers ahead of the latest decision.

Glasgow City Council chief executive Annemarie O'Donnell earlier said the decision not to revoke permission was taken as the local authority's options are limited by the legal right to march and protest.

She warned the decisions could change if the situation alters.

Ms O'Donnell said: "Ultimately the responsibility for ensuring that Saturday's marches are safe lies with the organisers and the protesters.

"They must commit themselves to behave in a way which will not further stretch the patience of their fellow Glaswegians."