A 19-year-old boy has been cleared of killing a 13-year-old girl by supplying her with ecstasy.

Callum Owens, a trainee chef, from Irvine, Ayrshire, said he gave his friend Grace  Handling permission to take a tablet when she went to visit him at his home at Arran Place around 7pm on June 28, 2018.

He said he also took an ecstasy pill and woke up to find her dead on his living room floor, but he denied killing her.

At the High Court in Glasgow today a jury found the case against Mr Owens not proven and he walked free from court.

The court heard that Miss Handling, who died of ecstasy intoxication, had taken the drug before in the months leading to her death and her mother and older sister had both warned her of the dangers.

Mr Owens told the court that he has not taken ecstasy since July 2018.

Read more: Grace Handling 'died in the arms of teen accused of killing her'

Before the jury came back with their verdict Miss Handling's dad Stewart knelt in prayer.

Outside court he sobbed as a statement on behalf of  him and his family was read out by Anne-Marie Cocozza of the charity FAMS.

It said: “Grace was an amazing young girl and a very loving and caring daughter. Our lives changed forever on the evening of June 29, 2018. We will never get over the sudden loss of our daughter.

“I didn't even get to say goodbye. Whether the accused Callum Owens today was found guilty, not guilty or not proven it will not bring our daughter back home again."

The court was told Miss Handling phoned a friend that night around 8pm and told her she had taken three tablets.

In evidence, Mr Owens claimed that they had been chatting and listening to music and Miss Handling saw a bag with nine ecstasy tablets inside and asked for one.

He said they each took a tablet and told the jury she had taken the two tablets out the bag and handed one to him.

He later discovered there were only five tablets left which he threw away.

Mr Owens was asked if he had ecstasy tablets and he replied: “Yes. I think it was nine, They were on a plastic bag on the windowsill in the living room.

“She asked if she could take one and I said I might as well take one too. To my knowledge she took one and I took one.

“She went over to the bag and took two from the bag, took one herself and gave one to me.”

Mr Owens said he fell asleep on the floor and woke up with Miss Handling nearby.

He said: “She wasn't breathing. She was cold to the touch and her eyes were open.”

He told the jurors he tried to apply CPR without success and later left the house.

Defence QC Donald Findlay asked Mr Owens: "Were you aware of Grace taking another two pills?“ and he replied: "No.”

When asked why he did not phone an ambulance or the police or his parents for Miss Handling, he replied: “I was just scared.”

The jury heard that when he was questioned as a witness at Saltcoats police station on June 29, 2018, Mr Owens told police: “I sold her the pills, no wait I didn't sell the pills, I gave her them.”

Mr Owens was asked why he had said he gave her them and he replied: “I just felt responsible because they were mine and it was in my house.”

The court heard that Mr Owens messaged his friend Alisha McLean on Facebook at 2.58pm on June 29, 2018 and told her: “Oft I'm going probably never coming back,” and minutes later revealed: “Killed a c*** man.”

Ms McLean asked Mr  Owens “How,” and he replied: “They chocked on their sick in my gaff.”

She then asked: “U never killed them then,” and Mr Owens told her: “I gave her the pills tho.”

Mr Owens, when asked who was dead in his house, replied: “Wee Grace Handling,” and added: “Tried to give her CPR and everything she actually died in my arms. It's all my fault. I'm surprised I'm no greeting yet. She was just a wee lassie.”

Ms McLean told Mr  Owens: “It wasn't you tho she took it.” She then suggested that Mr  Owens should phone the police and claim he found her lying outside.”

Later on in the chat  Mr Owens stated: “I feel asleep and she choked on her whitey. It's all my fault.”

Mr Owens made no comment as he left court.