TWO people remain in ‘criticial’ condition after an explosion in Ayr on Monday as rescue services ‘keep an open mind’ to the cause.

All four people involved in the incident, which devastated four houses in the Gorse Park area of Ayr, remain in hospital with two still in critical condition.

A 43-year-old woman and 16-year-old boy, understood to be mother and son, are under close supervision in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. 

Meanwhile a 47-year-old man and 11-year-old boy are now in ‘stable condition’, police confirmed.

Chief Inspector Derrick Johnston said: “Our thoughts are very much with those injured in the explosion, their families and people in the community who have been displaced from their homes. I would like to thank everyone for their patience."

A multi-agency investigation is still under way as investigators work to establish the cause of the explosion which happened at 7pm on Monday.

Scottish Gas Network are working alongside Police Scotland, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and South Ayrshire Council.

READ MORE: Four houses set to be demolished as other residents return home

Chief Johnston added: “All partner agencies are working together to find out the cause, but this is a complex incident and finding answers will take time.

"I can assure the public that we are working hard to establish the full circumstances.”

The explosion completely destroyed one house and has damaged the three attached properties to an unliveable extent. All four are set to be demolished.

Residents of Gorse Park, Kincaidston began returning to their homes in the surrounding area on Wednesday.

South Ayrshire Council confirmed that they had identified 46 properties which householders could safely return to, but there are still 35 homes which remain cordoned off due to damage caused by the debris of the blast.

Shocking pictures from the incident showed the extent of the damage, and numerous vehicles were also damaged from the blast.

READ MORE: Shocking photos show extent of Ayrshire explosion as four remain in hospital

Residents affected on Monday night were evacuated from the area and those with damaged property were given shelter in the nearby Queen Margaret Academy.

Kincaidston Community Centre and St Columba Church also opened their doors for those who needed help.

The site remains under supervision of emergency services and other utility companies.