ABERDEEN have welcomed police action after player Funso Ojo was allegedly assaulted by a Dundee United fan.

The midfielder was sent off in yesterday's 1-0 loss to United after an alleged incident involving a fan in the home support.

Aberdeen have now given their full support to Ojo, who has been left "shaken" by the incident, and hope the decision to send him off can be looked into and the governing bodies can "ensure that this injustice is addressed".

Police Scotland confirmed this morning that a 35 year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the alleged assault of an Aberdeen player. He was released on undertaking to appear at Dundee Sheriff Court at a later date.

Aberdeen's statement released tonight said: "Aberdeen Football Club welcomes this afternoon’s statement from Police Scotland that a 35‐year‐old man has been arrested and charged with the assault of our player, Funso Ojo."

Chairman Dave Cormack commented to the club website: “The Club are appalled at the events that unfolded yesterday afternoon and are fully supporting Funso who remains shaken by the entire incident. Such conduct from any supporter is wholly unacceptable and should not be tolerated in what, for a football player, is their place of work.”

On Ojo's second yellow card after the incident, Cormack said: “Given the circumstances around the incident, the Club remains shocked at the decision to issue Funso with a second caution which led to his dismissal from the field of play. As it was Funso who was assaulted we sincerely hope that common sense will prevail and that the authorities will work with us to ensure that this injustice is addressed.”

AFC Director of Football Steven Gunn added: “The Manager is fiercely protective and supportive of all his players. Having viewed the footage and spoken to the player, he is totally behind Funso over this atrocious incident.

“Given, as anticipated, this is now subject to a criminal investigation, we have to be circumspect in what we say and are unable to comment any further at this stage.”

The statement also told fans the club have asked for a formal explanation for the reasoning behind Stephen Glass being sent to the stands.

It read: "The Club is also awaiting a formal explanation on the reasoning behind Stephen Glass’ dismissal, at which point the Club will take any appropriate steps."

A North East Police statement read: "After an investigation into an incident during the Dundee United and Aberdeen match in Dundee yesterday, a 35yo man has been arrested and charged in connection with the assault of an Aberdeen FC player.

"He has been released on undertaking to appear at Dundee SC at a later date."

A Dundee united statement read: "Dundee United can confirm that an investigation has commenced into an incident during today's game. We will make no further comment at this time."