A British soldier was killed yesterday in an explosion in southern Afghanistan.

The soldier, from the Queens Royal Lancers Regiment, was killed in a suspected minestrike on his vehicle.

A second soldier was injured in the blast and was last night receiving treatment at the Camp Bastion field hospital. Next of kin have been informed, an MoD spokesman said.

The fatality - the 94th British personnel death in the conflict since 2001 - came on the day Prince Harry was reunited with one of the injured servicemen who shared his return flight from his tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Marine Ben McBean, 21, lost an arm and a leg when a mine exploded during a patrol in the country. He was flown back to the UK for medical treatment at the same time as the prince was forced to return home.

Marine McBean is now being treated at Headley Court Rehabilitation Centre.

Prince William and Prince Harry both went to the centre just outside the village of Headley in Surrey yesterday to speak to injured servicemen and women and lend their support to City Salute, a planned ceremony in the city of London to support the troops.

The younger prince also met Marine Mark Ormrod, with whom he trained before deploying to Afghanistan. The 24-year-old lost an arm and both his legs when he stepped on a mine during a routine foot patrol on Christmas Eve, 2007.

"The support of people back home matters a lot more now since I've been injured. You can be told that the public support the troops but you don't really believe it until you see thousands of people turn out for a parade," said Marine Ormrod.

The princes also met Lance-Sergeant Adam Ball, 23, stationed with 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards in Aldershot. He lost a leg when he stepped on an explosive device in Afghanistan eight months ago and has spent the last six months at Headley Court.

"I'm happy that the princes have come today," he said. "It's good that they come and show an interest in what we are doing and see how we are getting on.

"With Harry having done it himself he knows the ins and outs and it's more like banter, talking to an officer maybe, than talking to a royal."

He said that local support really helped troops' morale.

Both princes were keen to quiz staff about developments since their last visit, which they made in a private capacity in 2007.

Prince William, in particular, asked about one soldier they met on their last visit.

A spokesman said later: "Headley Court Rehabilitation Centre provides first-class rehabilitation care to our troops and to maintain this we are investing constantly in staff, facilities, patient welfare and treatments.

"The MoD welcomes the City Salute initiative as an opportunity to celebrate the contribution and dedication of our armed forces. The offer of extra funding through City Salute is very welcome and will allow us to further improve the already excellent standards of care at Headley Court."

The soldier who died yesterday in Afghanistan was providing security to a supply convoy returning to Camp Bastion when the incident happened at about 9am.

The convoy was travelling from the town of Gareshk.

"The soldier was evacuated to the medical facility at Camp Bastion, but tragically was declared dead on arrival," the MoD spokesman said.

Lieutenant Colonel Sarto LeBlanc, spokesman for the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force, said: "We offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the soldier who died today, and those who were wounded while working to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan.

"We have lost a valuable member of our team and this loss will be felt across our command."