A 15-year-old boy has died in a "tragic incident" in a Lewis school.

Anton Michael passed away on Tuesday afternoon after being found in the toilets at Stornoway's Nicolson Institute.

The fourth-year pupil was taken to Western Isles Hospital but could not be saved.

Police and other authorities stressed there were no suspicious circumstances and nobody else was involved in the incident.

A spokesman for Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, the Western Isles Council, said: "A tragic incident occurred at the Nicolson Institute to which the emergency services were called.

"A pupil was conveyed to Western Isles Hospital where he passed away. The school and the Comhairle are putting appropriate support mechanisms in place for staff and pupils."

The school opened on Wednesday despite social media concerns from some students. A statement shared by pupils on Twitter said: "They expect us to all go to school like nothing happened and everything is fine. Well, we are going to take a stand."

However, The Herald understands counselling is being provided at the school.

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar leader Roddie Mackay opened Wednesday's meeting of the council's policy and resources committee with reflections on the tragedy.

Mr Mackay said: "Before we begin our deliberations at committee today can I just reflect for a minute on the tragic events which unfolded yesterday just a short distance from this chamber.

"Our thoughts are very much with the family of Anton Michael, who was just 15 years old and attended class S4 in the Nicolson.

"We do take important decisions on committees, decisions which can affect our constituents in different ways and which deserve to be taken seriously, but when terribly sad events like this touch us so closely it surely give us a sense of perspective and proportion.

"I should also say that we are mindful of the pupils and staff in the school and steps have been taken to provide all the necessary support at this time and of course extending that same support and care to our staff, particularly those directly involved in yesterday’s events."

A police spokesman said: "Police Scotland attended the Nicolson Institute in Stornoway shortly after 14:30 on Tuesday following concern for a 15-year-old male.

"He was conveyed to Western Isles Hospital where he has since died.

"There are no suspicious circumstances and as with all sudden deaths a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal."