As members of the public lined the streets to watch the King leave Westminster on Monday, one man embarked on a 35-second sprint through traffic to wave and take a picture.

After Charles’s speech at Westminster Hall, where both Houses of Parliament gathered to express their condolence to the new monarch on the death of his mother the Queen, the King and Queen Consort left via car for RAF Northolt for their journey to Edinburgh.

The journey was captured live by broadcast helicopters and footage on the BBC showed the moment one man decided to give chase after the motorcade as it passed.

Screengrab from BBC News of a member of the public stepping out into the road towards a car carrying King Charles III and the Queen Consort to take a photo (BBC/PA)

Wearing a light-coloured top and blue trousers, the man was waiting at a crossing on the A40 to take pictures on his phone as the King’s car passed on its way to RAF Northolt for a flight to Scotland.

When the procession slowed down due to traffic, the man broke into a run, sprinting for 35 seconds up the road and crossing a bus stop and two lanes of traffic so he could stand just a couple of metres from the King’s car.

READ MORE: Edinburgh procession from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to nearby St Giles’ Cathedral

Stood just in front and to the left-hand side of the King’s car – the side on which the Queen Consort was sat in the back seat alongside the King – the man appeared to take a picture before waving at the pair.

The King and Queen Consort stepped off the plane at a blustery but bright Edinburgh airport on Monday.

Their plane landed just before 12.30pm, having taken off from RAF Northolt in Hillingdon, west London.

They were met by Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and the Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh Robert Aldridge.

READ MORE: 'Abolish monarchy' woman among two charged in protests over King Charles's Edinburgh proclamation

While Camilla got into the waiting car, Charles briefly spoke with Secretary of State for Scotland Alister Jack, Police Scotland chief constable Sir Iain Livingstone and Edinburgh Airport chairman Sir John Elvidge.

The royal couple were then driven from the airport, escorted by police.

The King is due to inspect a guard of honour at the Palace of Holyroodhouse before attending a Ceremony of the Keys on the forecourt.