Born: November 5, 1920; Died: January 4, 2012.

Colonel Tony Way, who has died aged 91, was a soldier who exhibited a devotion to his regiment that gained him immense respect from his men and fellow officers. His courage while on active service in the Second World War was typical of a soldier whose sense of duty and loyalty to his comrades remained paramount. With little regard for his own safety Col Way displayed exemplary bravery while commanding the 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards in the Italian campaign of 1944. His bravery was recognised by the award of a Military Cross.

Col Way spent the last 40 years of his life in Dunkeld and served as Standard Bearer, Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, which parades with the sovereign on state occasions. The Queen herself has called the Corps her "nearest guard".

Anthony Gerald Way was educated at Stowe and after Sandhurst was commissioned into the Grenadier Guards in 1939. Initially he saw service at two fierce battles in Tunisia – at Medjez-el-Bab and Bou Arada in 1943. At the latter Col Way led his company up a bare hillside, under constant shell and mortar fire, and halted the German advance. For his bravery and decisive leadership he was mentioned in despatches.

His qualities were further recognised a year later in Italy. His 3rd Battalion were advancing north of Rome when, on the night of May 27, they were ordered to attack Monte Grande, south-west of Cassino. The fighting was intense. Col Way led his men up a strategically important hill on three occasions, during which he was badly wounded in his abdomen. Unconcerned for his own safety, Col Way continued to issue orders and the objective was gained later that day. He was awarded an immediate MC.

After the war, he served in various posts in the Mediterranean and in 1960 led the 3rd battalion at the Queen's Birthday Parade. At a poignant ceremony that year – in the pouring rain –he led the battalion's farewell to the Queen in the gardens of Buckingham Palace. In the presence also of the Queen Mother (who was under a golf umbrella) he called for three cheers for the sovereign and Bearskins were removed and raised aloft. Col Way then proudly led a march-past of serving Grenadiers and veterans.

While recuperating from his war wounds, he spent time at Kincairney House in Dunkeld. There he met and married Elizabeth Richmond, and in 1971 he moved to Dunkeld and managed the Kincairney estate. He became devoted to the Perthshire countryside and planted many specimen trees and was a keen golfer and shot.

For 18 years he was a member of the Gentlemen of Arms and served as the Corps' Standard Bearer. The history associated with the Bodyguard embodied his own beliefs of duty and service. He carried the impressive standard with the corps' portcullis badge at many state occasions with much pride.

The vicar at St Mary's Church, Birnam, the Rev David Brooke, was a neighbour and good friend. "Tony was the most self-effacing and kindly man. Extremely modest about his distinguished war record and made a point of never drawing attention to himself. He was a regular attender at St Mary's and a popular figure in the community. Tony lived a quiet life in his beloved Perthshire home and remained a charming, courteous and Godly man."

His first wife Elizabeth predeceased him and, in 1986, he married Anthea Methuen. Anthea survives him with a son and a daughter from his first marriage.