Born: June 12, 1939;

Died: November 15, 2015

Jackie McGugan, who has died aged 76, will always be associated with St Mirren's Scottish Cup success of 1959, collecting a winner's medal at the age of 19.

Described at the time as a steady no nonsense centre half, he was an ever-present through the Saints' campaign, culminating in his notable contribution to the final when the Buddie' defeated Aberdeen 3-1 in front of 108,500 fans. This would be the last Cup Final attendance in excess of 100,000 not involving one of the Old Firm.

Early round wins against Peebles Rovers, Motherwell and Dunfermline led to a semi-final against Celtic who they swept aside 4-0. The Saints fans in the 75,000 crowd sang their hearts out with Jackie later commenting, "I felt my heart was bursting out my jersey."

In the final, goals from Tommy Bryceland, Alistair Miller and Gerry Baker secured the trophy. Their triumph was greeted with wild scenes that night in Paisley's Jail Square as the team with the Cup aloft fought its way through packed crowds into the Town Hall.

McGugan's form caught the eye of the Scottish selectors and he was included in that summer's Scotland tour for matches against Jutland, Holland and Portugal. He played in the non-cap international against Jutland in a disappointing match for the tourists who could only muster a 3-3 draw despite the presence of players like Denis Law, Dave Mackay and Bertie Auld.

Born and brought up in Airdrie where he attended the local academy, he signed for Pollok Juniors on leaving school. In 1956 he joined St Mirren, making his debut in a League Cup tie against Clyde at the start of the 1958/9 season and thereafter played in every game that season.

Clubs such as Newcastle United and Rangers were apparently showing interest in him and when he was dropped after a defeat by Arbroath at New Year 1960 he applied for a transfer, resulting in a move to Leeds United that summer. Injuries and the form of a young Jack Charlton meant he was restricted to only one game at United, before moving on to Tranmere Rovers, Ayr United and Morton. In 1964, he moved to Southern League Cambridge City where he became a mainstay of the team till 1970.

Thereafter, he remained in Cambridge for the rest of his life, working initially in the licensed trade and for the last 23 years as a porter in St John's College, Cambridge University, where he was held in high and affectionate regard.

On 3rd January 2009 he and other former players were welcomed back to Love Street on the occasion of St Mirren's final game at their old ground and introduced to the crowd who gave them a warm reception.

In 1960 he married Janette Trainor and although they later divorced they remained on good terms. He is survived by her, daughters Grace and Susan, son John and five grandchildren.