THIS was Cambuslang Main Street in 1958, but before long, plans would be in hand to alter its appearance significantly.

In March 1960, the Evening Times reported that signs reading ‘reduced prices’ were displayed in the windows of the shops lining the north side of the street. There was a touch of melancholy in the air, as many of the shops were to be demolished.

Under Lanark County Council’s £3 million redevelopment plan, these premises were to be torn down to make way for the new Cambuslang, which was set to rise over the next 15 years.

The premises earmarked for closure included a bakery, a draper’s, an outfitter’s, a confectionary shop and a cafe. Some had been established for longer than 50 years.

A few, like Archie Scoular’s, the ironmonger’s, had become local landmarks. Scoular’s was founded in 1880. The then-current premises, at 97 Main Street, were planned originally as a hotel, but the capital gave out and Mr Scoular’s father took over, opening one of the first ‘walk in and view’ stores in Cambuslang.

Another store to be closed was the jeweller’s and watchmaker’s business of Edwin Webster, at 139. Since the beginning of March, he had been holding daily auctions to clear his stock; customers had been turning up in search of bargains in cutlery, crystal, clocks, rings and ornaments.