TROUBLE flared at Hibernian's pre-season clash with Nottingham Forest in the Algarve last night, with the two sets of supporters involved in violent clashes.

A tense atmosphere in Vila Real San Antonio erupted 35 minutes into the match when around 100 fans confronted each other at the metal barriers that separated the opposing groups.

The makeshift fences were then used as weapons as riot police waded in to force fans apart. The situation was calmed when Forest supporters, who outnumbered the Hibs contingent by around four-to-one, were penned into a small area of the main stand.

Hibs lost 2-1, with new recruit Owain Tudur Jones scoring their only goal against Billy Davies' side, who opened the scoring with a Dexter Blackstock penalty and re-took the lead with an Ishmael Miller strike.

Celtic suffered a second successive defeat, going down 2-1 to CFR Cluj in Kufstein, Austria. Florin Costea put the Romanians ahead after nine minutes. Neil Lennon fielded a line-up that mixed experience with youth. Defender Calum Waters, 17, made his debut for the senior side and Mikael Lustig came in for his first appearance of the tour.

Former St Johnstone striker Gregory Tade was involved in the opening goal after nine minutes, setting up Florin Costea to curl a shot beyond Fraser Forster and into the top corner.

Cluj doubled their lead just after the hour when substitute Pantelis Kapetanos fired past Forster from 12 yards. Beram Kayal and substitute James Forrest went close before Georgios Samaras pulled one back with nine minutes to go, converting a Forrest cross.

Celtic's Champions League opponents Cliftonville lost 1-0 to Welsh title winners The New Saints in Belfast.

Partick Thistle lost 2-1 to Gateshead at Durham City's New Ferens Park. Trailing 2-0 at the break, Alan Archibald's side stepped it up in the second half and John Baird pulled a goal back eight minutes from time. Christie Elliott lashed a 20-yard shot over the bar in the closing stages.

Cowdenbeath came from behind to draw 1-1 with David Weir's Sheffield United at Central Park. Jordan Morton equalised midway through the second half.

Jordan White scored against former club Falkirk to earn Stirling Albion a 1-1 draw at Forthbank. Stephen Kingsley had put Falkirk ahead.

Alloa Athletic and East Fife drew 1-1 at Recreation Park. Willie Robertson put Alloa in front with a solo effort but Johnny Stewart equalised from close range.

Malcolm McLean volleyed the only goal as Albion Rovers beat Stenhousemuir 1-0 at Ochilview.

Dumbarton beat Civil Service Strollers 3-0 with goals from Chris Turner, Mitch Megginson and Steven McDougall.