Herald Scotland's sports team trawls through the archives for the very best stories from yesteryear

Herald Scotland's sports team trawls through the archives for the very best stories from yesteryear

Glasgow police took special precautions during the night to protect football grounds in the city after the fires on two successive nights this week which caused extensive damage Hampden Park and Ibrox Stadium.

At Glasgow Eastern police division a senior office said "arrangements have been made" for the protection of Celtic's football ground at Parkhead and CID officers again visited Ibrox Stadium to check up on security there.

Two of the Rangers' ground staff mounted a special guard.

Senior detectives of Govan and Southern divisions of Glasgow Police assisted by officers of the police scientific branch and of Glasgow Fire Service continued the search for evidence which might show that the fires had been started deliberately.

Hampden, the more severly damaged, was again visited by Chief Detective Inspector George Browne of Glasgow Southern CID, accompanied by scientific branch officers.

Later he was joined by Chief Detective Harry Watts of Govan CID, who, who is in charge of the investigations into the fire which damaged the centre stand of Ibrox Stadium.

"It is still an open question as to the cause of the fire at Hampden," Mr Browne said "and earlier in the day I went to Ibrox to see the position there after the fire."

"Certainly, reports that the blaze at Hampden were [sic] caused by an electrical fault have not been confirmed."

Workmen cleared tons of debris from the heavily-damaged aread of the centre stand at Hampden yesterday, and at Ibrox, Mr David White, the manager of Rangers, said after he had inspected the fire damage which destroyed 300 seats and the directors box: "The whole area will have to be cordoned off, and it will be out of use for our next two games, at least."

At Parkhead, Mr Sean Fallon, assistant manager of Celtic, said: "We will be taking every possible precaution."

Mr Archie Robertson, manager of Clyde, said a close watch was being maintained by watchmen at Shawfield and precautions were being maintained right around the clock.