FALKIRK pushed their play-off case with a comfortable 2-0 win at home to bottom-club Livingston.

In a one-sided first half, Falkirk reaped the rewards with goals from Kieran Duffie and Will Vaulks and it effectively took the game outwith Livingston's reach.

Falkirk moved level with fourth-placed Queen of the South, who have a game in hand.

The home side entertained their fans with some flowing football in the first half and it did not take them long to make the breakthrough.

After just eight minutes, Craig Sibbald, their teenage midfield player, picked out Duffie with the most inviting of crosses and he headed the ball beyond an exposed Darren Jamieson.

A second goal arrived shortly afterwards with Sibbald again the provider, showing great awareness to cut the ball back for Vaulks to provide a decisive finish.

It was becoming an onslaught and Livington only limied the damage through some solid goalkeeping from Jamieson.

He saved well from Vaulks, John Baird and Mark Kerr before half time and Livingston could muster little in response as Jamie MacDonald enjoyed a rather leisurely afternoon in the Falkirk goal.

Livingston improved in the second half but never looked like retrieving the sitation.

The enterprising Sibbald was denied a third Falkirk goal by the excellent Jamieson. By then, there was no doubt about where the points were heading.

Alloa Athletic picked up a valuable three points in their quest to avoid relegation with a 2-0 victory over Cowdenbeath at Central Park.

The win means they leapfrog their opponents into eighth place on goal difference and they fully merited the win.

Alloa had to be patient as Robbie Thomson made a string of saves in the first half to keep them at bay.

Philip Roberts, Kevin Cawley and Liam Buchanan were all denied by the goalkeeper but Alloa struck to their task and Mark Docherty gave them the breakthrough after 65 minutes.

Barry Smith's side continued to press and Cawley scored the clinching second goal with just 12 minutes left.