GLASGOW CITY'S hopes of all but sealing a ninth successive SWPL title were foiled when 17-year-old Hibs forward Abi Harrison scored a dramatic equaliser, and her hat-trick, with virtually the last kick of the ball at the Excelsior Stadium.

Although City dominated the second half, a draw was a satisfactory outcome at the end of a pulsating, high quality match during which the lead changed three times.

The teams remain level with 38 points from 14 games, although the champions have a much healthier goal difference. "That was a massive, massive goal for us and it epitomises the team – they never give up," said Hibs head coach Chris Roberts. "It showed great fighting spirit to score in the last minute of the game when the second half had gone so much against us."

The result was a setback for Scott Booth in his fourth game in charge of City. "We started really well and got the goal," he said. "From then on Hibs had a good spell, but if I look at the game overall we should have won it based on our second-half performance and the chances we had.

"If you don't defend properly as a team against sides that have pace and can hurt you, that's exactly what they'll do."

Both sides started the game at a high tempo and the first strike nearly went to Hibs. The outstanding Lizzie Arnott sent in a deep cross from the left and although it was headed towards goal by Harrison, City central defender Cheryl McCulloch cleared off the line.

Three minutes later City went ahead. Julie Fleeting set up Denise O'Sullivan and the Ireland internationalist steered a clever low shot past Hibs keeper Jenna Fife.

Hibs needed a quick response and they got it. It was a fine individual goal by Harrison, who outfoxed City left back Nicky Docherty before cutting inside. The Scotland under-19 player was still 25 yards from goal but sent in a shot which beat Lee Alexander in her right-hand corner.

The intensity never waned as Fife was forced into a good smothering save from Fleeting before Hibs went ahead with a well-worked goal. Heather Richards and Arnott combined before Harrison slammed into the net from close range.

City reshuffled their pack at half time, with Fleeting coming off and being replaced by holding midfielder Kerry Montgomery, allowing Erin Cuthbert and O'Sullivan to move forward. The switches coincided with City taking almost complete control.

Fife made two great saves just before the hour from O'Sullivan and Lauren McMurchie, but she was then beaten by Docherty's curling shot from the left.

City went ahead 15 minutes from the end. From a corner the ball was only cleared as far as McMurchie, who threaded a shot into the Hibs net.

The visitors' chance seemed to have come and gone when full-back Kirsty Smith's goal from a free kick was ruled offside. Then, deep into injury time, Harrison latched on to Siobhan Hunter's through ball to score her dramatic equaliser.