Former Scotland international Alan Rough described Jock Stein as a manager "way head of his time" as football commemorates his untimely death 30 years on.

Stein collapsed with heart problems towards the end of Scotland's 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw against Wales on October 10, 1985, and died shortly afterwards, aged 62, inside Ninian Park, Cardiff.

Davie Cooper's penalty had just given Scotland the point they needed to ensure progress to a play-off against Australia, which they won under Alex Ferguson.

It was the second time Stein had got Scotland out of a World Cup qualifying group but it was club success he was most noted for, becoming the first man to lead a British team to European Cup glory with Celtic in 1967, a triumph achieved with 11 players from Glasgow and the surrounding area.

Stein also managed Celtic to 10 titles, eight Scottish Cup wins and six League Cup trophies, having earlier led Dunfermline to Scottish Cup success and Hibernian to a Summer Cup title.

Rough, who played on that fateful night in Cardiff, said on STV Glasgow's Peter and Roughie Show: "He was way ahead of his time, tactically, and he was big on man-management.

"When you got picked for a Scotland squad you went along and you knew there was serious business to contend with, but he knew how to relax you as well. He filled your day. I don't know how many times I started taking bowls up rather than sitting having a cup of tea. He knew what to do.

"His tactics were second to none, absolutely unbelievable. He was very thorough in everything he did and just a pleasure to play for.

"Off the park he would have every minute detail. Things like, when you went into a hotel, the players checked in first. Everyone else would wait. You were at the front of the bus, everyone else was at the back of the bus. If your meal was at six o'clock, you better be there at six o'clock."

Rough described the sharp contrast in emotions the Scotland squad endured after their crucial draw against Wales.

"On the park we were on a high but as we came into the dressing room we heard the circumstances of what had happened," he said.

"Players that had been all over the world playing football were absolutely distraught at what was beginning to happen before us. We just sat there in the dressing room for an hour and I don't think anybody spoke at all. We just sat there waiting on the news, hoping it would be good news. Unfortunately it wasn't. It was a horrible, horrible hour."