A shutout from Guildford Flames’ Travis Fullerton ended Glasgow Clan’s hopes of progressing in the play-offs, going 5-0 on the night and ending the quarter final 7-3 down on aggregate.

Clan were looking to reach the Nottingham finals next week for the fist time since 2014, but on a night that promised so much, the end of the road came in such disappointing fashion to end Pete Russell’s first year in charge on a low note. Glasgow were 3-2 up from Saturday’s first leg in Guildford and hopes were high they could make a triumphant return to the final four. The Flames had other ideas.

They took the lead after four minutes when Jamie Crooks scrambled one into the net from close range to level the aggregate score and the momentum moved in their direction. They were soon celebrating again as they doubled the lead on the night when Ian Watters converted an opportunity from Ben Davies’ pass and the visitors were ahead on aggregate for the first time.

Fullerton was in top form as he shut out his former team for the third time this season, denying Vaclav Stupka from close range late in the first period and keeping them solid.

Clan, with three players missing through injury, piled on the pressure in the second period as they tried to get back into the game, but found Guildford in stubborn mood as the Purple Army of fans cranked up the volume in the arena.

Despite this, Flames added a third when Kruise Reddick and Ben Davies combined for Evan Janssen flicked one in from close range and suddenly, Clan’s hopes began the flicker. Although Matt Beca hit the post, Glasgow could get nothing from Flames. The third period was more of the same as home goalie Joel Rumpel was pulled in favour of an extra skater, but despite the gamble, it didn’t pay off as Calle Ackered netted on the gaping net, followed by TJ Foster to make it 5-0 and add salt to the play-off wound.

Fife Flyers also saw their season ended when they were beaten 3-0 by Nottingham Panthers on the night and 6-3 on aggregate.

Dylan Richard put Panthers in front after five minutes and despite Flyers putting everything into getting back on track, they were undone by two empty goals by Richard, with his second and Robert Farmer.