Hibernian have the second round of the Betfred Cup in their sights after swatting side Arbroath in a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Flo Kamberi and Scott Allan scored at either end of the first half before substitute Fraser Murray added a third in the 88th minute.

The Easter Road side are now two points clear at the top of Group C and can guarantee progression with victory in Friday evening’s televised clash at Elgin City.

It was a productive work out for Paul Heckingbottom, with the Hibs head coach getting minutes into the legs of more players after making six changes for last night’s match.

Although the former Leeds United manager was quick to point out that his team still need to sharpen up before the top-flight opener against

St Mirren on August 3.

“There were lots of things we did well, lots of things we didn’t do so well and which need to be better.” said Heckingbottom. “We could’ve scored umpteen and they had one effort on target. 

“In three games we’ve conceded three efforts on target, which is unbelievable but it’s unbelievable that we’ve only scored six goals from the number we’ve created.”

Josh Vela was handed his debut in midfield less than a week after joining from Bolton, while goalkeeper Chris Maxwell was given the nod ahead of Ofir Marciano.

Hibs striker Oli Shaw, who was linked with English Championship sides Blackburn, Wigan and Barnsley earlier in the day, had to be content with a cameo outing from the bench.

Asked about Shaw, Heckingbottom said: “What do you want me to say on it? The amount of stuff I read that’s rubbish . . . no one has spoken to me, whether it’s someone trying to drum up interest.”

The Red Litchties came out on top 3-2 in a pre-season clash between the sides at the start of the month but this was now down to the serious business.

The visitors lined up with a

defensive 4-5-1 formation with the idea of frustrating the Premiership side, just like Alloa did for 68 minutes on Saturday. However, Arbroath’s game plan was thrown out of the window inside three minutes as Kamberi opened the scoring.

The Swiss ran on to Scott Allan’s clever through ball and managed to squeeze a shot past Darren Jamieson from a tight angle.

The Leith side dominated the early stages but Maxwell was called upon after seven minutes to save Bobby Linn’s fizzing free kick from 20 yards.

At the other end, Stevie Mallan was allowed a sight at goal from outside the area but his powerful drive landed comfortably in the hands of Jamieson.

Other chances came and went, Martin Boyle had a low half-volley saved by the visiting shot-stopper before Adam Jackson headed Joe Newell’s corner just over.

A last-ditch Sean Mackie tackle on Arbroath’s Mark Whatley inside the area reminded the hosts that danger lurked if they switched off. However, Hibs ended the half with a two-goal cushion.

Allan cooly sent Jamieson the wrong way from the penalty spot after referee Bobby Madden had called back Thomas O’Brien’s foul on Boyle. Boyle was upended after crossing for Kamberi, who hit an overhead kick over the bar.

Hibs made a strong start to the second half but did little to improve on their chances-to-goals ratio.

A powerful Allan run on the

counter from deep inside his own half ended with the midfielder dinking an effort just over.

Mallan’s drive from 40 yards was more ambitious but it still had

Jamieson scrambling across to push the shot behind for a corner.

Jackson then had a header saved from a corner while Hanlon nodded over from another Newell set-piece despite being unmarked.

Shaw thought he had added a third shortly after his arrival in the 78th minute, only for his joy to be cut short by the assistant referee’s offside flag.

The game opened up as Arbroath attempted to get back into the match but substitute Murray killed their hopes with a third.

The forward tucked away Daryl Horgan’s cross at the front post.

Arbroath manager Dick Campbell said: “I’m disappointed but I’m not angry, you can’t play against teams and give the ball away like we did and not get hurt for it. It was like watching a training game for Hibs.”

Elsewhere, Motherwell saw off Dumbarton 2-0 with Christian Ilic opening the scoring just before half-time and Peter Hartley adding the second on his return to the side.

The Fir Park side now face Annan in their final Group E clash with a three-point cushion over second-place Morton, who thrashed Annan 5-0 at Galabank. Dundee United fell to a shock 2-0 defeat at home to second-place East Fife in Group A, with the Fifers still to play Hearts for a chance to top the group.