ST JOHNSTONE had failed to score a first-half Scottish Premiership goal for over seven months before they travelled to Hamilton yesterday. 

The last came via Callum Hendry as Saints grabbed a well earned point against Rangers at McDiarmid Park back in February. 

Goals have been a problem of late for the Perth outfit, but after notching nine goals in two games in the Betfred Cup, Callum Davidson was hopeful his side could carry their recent form into league duties as they took to the field in Lanarkshire. 

It took St Johnstone just 58 seconds to end the unwanted seven month run as Stevie May added to the hat-trick that he grabbed against Brechin City last weekend. 

The former Aberdeen man has struggled to find the net as prolifically as he did in his first spell in Perth, but recent signs have shown that he may be close to finding his form of old. 

His smart flicked effort from a David Wotherspoon cross was the perfect start for the away side as they looked to lift themselves off the bottom of the Premiership. 

Saints didn’t have long to wait before they added a second of the afternoon and it Wotherspoon, who this time took duties upon himself to find the back of the net. 

The 28-year-old found the bottom left-hand corner from the edge of the box, despite Ryan Fulton getting a hand on the driven effort. He will probably be disappointed when he sees it back. 

There’s a saying about goals. You wait ages for one then three come along at once. That’s what Callum Davidson would have been saying after half an hour at The Foys Stadium anyway, as May then scored his second of the game. 

The striker expertly flicked a header beyond Fulton from a Craig Conway corner to put the away side in dreamland - but it wasn’t to be all plain sailing. 

Many a team would have chosen to shut up shop in a bid to damage limitations after going down three after 30 minutes, but not a team under the leadership of Brian Rice. 

Accies grabbed one back through Ronan Hughes when the frontman burst through Saints’ defensive line before arrowing a strike past Zander Clark. 

The home side then found themselves right back into it when Marios Ogkmpoe nodded home a Scott McMann free-kick just two minutes before the interval.  

It was quite the first half of action and as referee Kevin Clancy got the second 45 underway, there was no sign of the goals slowing up. 

Saints keeper Clark had to look sharp early doors as Kyle Munro fired a dangerous delivery towards the back post, and the save appeared to spark Davidson’s men back into life. 

Craig Bryson was introduced from the bench and the former Scotland international provided a defence splitting pass to free his former Aberdeen teammate May for a chance to net a second successive hat-trick.  

The 27-year-old showed composure to control, lift his head and, instead of going himself, he cut back for Craig Conway, who slotted home with ease. 

Again though, Hamilton were not in a mood to give up on the points. Ross Callachan, who left McDiarmid Park this summer, sent a thunderous strike against the crossbar before Hughes pounced on the loose ball to grab his second of the afternoon. 

Saints ended up having the last laugh though and it was Conway again who got on the scoresheet. This time the former Dundee United man curled a stunning free kick into the postage stamp of the goal to secure the points for his team.  

Speaking at full-time, Callum Davidson spoke of his delight saying: “I thought attacking wise we were really good today. We moved the ball well, got in behind and took our chances which was pleasing to see.  

“I'll start with the negative though, we conceded three goals so we can do better. The character from the players to keep going and going was pleasing, I'm delighted for them.  

“We couldn't score a goal at the start of the season and now we have 12 in two games, hopefully we can keep going. 

“The cup competition came at a good time for us. Stevie is back in good form and his movement is really good, getting behind players again. He was very unselfish for Craig's goal and that's the pleasing aspect for me. It's like David giving the penalty to Callum last week, it shows our spirit.  

“We are a small squad and we have to stick together. I believe in the quality we have and we had good substitutes who came on and helped see the game out. Hopefully we can do it the easy way soon but I’ll take the three points.” 

Hamilton are now bottom of the Scottish Premiership and Accies boss Rice added: “It was a bit harsh to be 3-0 down and I said that to them at the end. 

“You sink or swim and I did not see anybody jumping off the ship there but we gave ourselves too much to do. 

“We scored three goals at home and it is not often you see Hamilton do that but we still did not take anything from the game. I am not disappointed with the effort just the result.”