GLASGOW City's hopes of winning a record 14th successive Scottish title got a huge boost when they beat Rangers 2-0 to open a six point lead over their main challengers. 

The result allowed Celtic, who beat Motherwell 3-0 earlier in the day, to move up to second, five points off the pace.

It took City just 71 seconds to take the lead courtesy of a bad error by Rangers central defender Chantelle Swaby. The Jamaican internationalist mistimed a clearance to Hayley Lauder and she slipped the ball to Priscila Chinchilla.

The Costa Rica forward had a fresh air shot with her first attempt, but recovered quickly to send a well struck effort past Jenna Fife and into the net off a post.

City should have doubled their lead in 12 minutes. A long Lee Alexander clearance was flicked on by Megan Foley, leaving Ode Fulutudilu with only Fife to beat - but she sent her effort beyond the far post.

Scotland goalkeeper Alexander rescued her side twice in the middle of the half. She saved at the feet of former City player Sam Kerr as the midfielder attempted to go round her, and then smothered Lizzie Arnot's close range effort.

Rangers went further behind ten minutes from the interval. Fulutudilu sent Chinchilla clear and although Fife tried to tip her shot over the bar the ball went under it.

There was no further scoring in the second half and Alexander, who made another fine save from Kerr at the start of it, said: “It's a huge result for us. Obviously Rangers are title contenders and they beat us last time, so we had to make sure we got a result.

“Pri has been excellent since she came over. I'm delighted for her and it set us up for the rest of the game getting the early goal.

“It was a real squad effort and it's a busy week because we've got Celtic on Wednesday.”

Celtic head coach Fran Alonso was happier with the result than the performance after his side failed to boost their goal tally against second bottom Motherwell.

Rachel Donaldson opened the scoring after 18 minutes when she headed home a Sarah Ewens cross at the far post. The same player made it 2-0 and Sarah Teegarden got the third before the interval.

Despite this springboard, Celtic couldn't add to their score in the second half.

Teenage striker London Pollard, who was signed from Forfar at the start of the month, came on for her debut on the hour but, like her team-mates, couldn't find a way past a spirited Motherwell side.

“They were aggressive and made it difficult for us,” Alonso said.

“It wasn't as good a performance as the last two games but it's all about the three points and I'll take the clean sheet as well.

“With the talent we've got I think we can play better, but we've won six games in a row so I'm delighted.”

Bottom club Hearts ended their game against Spartans with only ten players after goalkeeper Charlotte Parker Smith was sent off 13 minutes from time.

By that time the home team were 2-0 up through Ronaigh Douglas and Kat Smart. They added a third through Michaela McAlonie when Hearts outfield player Lia Tweedie was between the posts.

It was the second time in eight days the side playing Spartans had their goalkeeper sent off – Glasgow City No 2 Erin Clachers suffered the same fate the previous Sunday.

Hibs stay in fifth place despite beating Forfar Farmington 5-0. The goals were scored by Carla Boyce, Colette Cavanagh (2), Joelle Murray and Ria McCafferty.