THE JOURNEY has been completed. This one is for those who followed near and far, those who didn’t do walking away. This one is for the fans.

Steven Gerrard – a legend in Liverpool – has become a God in Glasgow. His players are heroes to a generation, their places in Ibrox folklore and Scottish football history enshrined.

Title 55 means more than any other, perhaps more than the sum of all the others. This has been Rangers’ season, and this was their day.

Victory over Aberdeen completed an unbeaten Premiership campaign and saw Rangers set records for their defensive efforts this term. Gerrard had urged his players to leave a legacy, and that is exactly what they have done in this unique but historic season.

As captain James Tavernier held aloft the silverware and the ticker tape was blown from cannons, the years of hurt, the seasons of pain, were erased in an instant. Gerrard would noticeably take a back seat early on in the celebrations, but he has been a driving force since the first day that he arrived at Ibrox.

The party had started long before kick-off at Ibrox as the crowds gathered to welcome Gerrard and his champions. Supporters had waited ten seasons to savour such moments again and this occasion – coming a decade to the day since Walter Smith’s side were crowned at Rugby Park and then celebrated here – will go down as one of the most significant days of their lives.

The smoke – red, white, blue and orange – filled the air in smell and sight, while the sound of fireworks was sporadically heard over the songs of celebration as Edmiston Drive was packed for the second time this season. The gatherings will no doubt be condemned in some quarters, but it was understandable why so many had chosen to travel to Ibrox.

This achievement is not merely a sporting one. Those that understand need no explanation and the emotions here were mixed as supporters toasted modern day heroes and remembered Absent Friends. This was their day, and no fanbase deserves it more.

Six years ago, many would have stood at the front doors of Ibrox in protest as they feared for the future of their club and voiced their fury at a reviled regime. Those days will never be forgotten, but the focus is on the here and now and the future rather than the trials and tribulations that Rangers have overcome.

Some of the crowd that had gathered would dissipate before kick-off, but many remained outside as Gerrard’s side took to the park. A plume of red smoke would drift in from behind the gates at the Copland end, while more fireworks were let off on the streets and the touchline.

It was as close to an atmosphere as Ibrox has had this season. The circumstances are, of course, understandable, but it was hard not to lament the empty stands and imagine what this day could have been like.

Supporters still found a way to celebrate and mark the achievement and their time will come when they will be able to join Gerrard and his players. They had been separated in body for so long, but always united in spirit throughout a season like no other.

There were roars to accompany the goals that Rangers scored, two of which came in the first half. Even in a match that had a distinct end of season feel about it, Gerrard’s side were still a level above their opposition when it mattered most.

Tavernier was fortunate to see his cross from the right deflect off Jack MacKenzie and somehow evade Joe Lewis as the keeper made a lame effort to keep the ball out. Five minutes in and Rangers were on course to win every league game at Ibrox this term.

When Roofe doubled the lead half an hour later, it was job done once again. Ryan Kent was the provider as he burst down the left flank and MacKenzie again the unfortunate one as Roofe’s flick towards goal took a deflection off him on its way in.

Aberdeen found themselves as the unwanted guests at the party and they were never going to spoil it. As the clock ticked into the 55th minute, a barrage of bangs and crackles filled the air and a cheer erupted at the end of the latest pyrotechnic display.

The party was in full flow outside, but Rangers were flat on the park. Fraser Hornby should have converted at the back post, while Lewis Ferguson rattled the crossbar from a couple of yards out after meeting a cross from the striker.

The misses would matter little. Soon, it was 3-0 as Ianis Hagi nipped in ahead of Dylan McGeough and found Roofe before he beat Lewis with a lovely finish from the edge of the area.

And with seconds to spare, Jermain Defoe made it 4-0. The finish was the striker at his cool and composed best as he made space for himself and beat Lewis from 12 yards.

It was the final goal of the game, the final one of the afternoon and the final one of a Premiership that has belonged to Rangers.

This is their time, this has been their season. Their journey is over. Now they are going for 56.