INVERNESS recorded their first win in six attempts in the Championship last night as Billy Dodds’ side eased to a 2-1 win over Queen of the South to rise to second in the standings.

Billy Mckay scored either time of the half-time whistle at Palmerston while Queens’ Lee Connelly broke a five-game duck on an evening where the hosts’ winless run stretched to seven league games.

The visitors came out on the front foot as they seized the early initiative. Mckay offered a warning of what was to come when he sprung clear of the Queens backline via a quickly taken free-kick before cutting inside onto his favoured right foot as he entered the area but Solomon Brynn smothered the striker’s effort at the second attempt.

Some neat build-up play from Max Johnstone in response resulted in a dangerous-looking delivery into the Inverness box but David Carson was alert to the danger as he blocked Innes Cameron’s attempt.

Then, with 18 minutes played, a clumsy challenge from Queens’ Roberto Nditi resulted in referee Don Robertson pointing at the spot. Up stepped Mckay, who coolly slotted the ball home down the centre.

Danny Devine flashed a header wide of the far post from an Aaron Doran corner as Inverness turned the screw, but the scoreline remained 1-0 at the break.

Shane Sutherland blazed a first-time effort over the bar within minutes of the restart as the Caley Jags searched for the all-important second goal.

Six minutes into the second period, Mckay provided it. The 33-year-old reacted quickly to dart in front of Josh Debayo to steer home Carson’s cross to give the visitors some breathing space.

It would come in handy when Connelly reduced the arrears with 15 minutes to go. Ally Roy picked up a loose ball on the right and passed it inwards to Connelly, whose initial effort was cleared off the line by Kirk Broadfoot. It fell invitingly for the Queens man to have a second bite at the cherry and he made no mistake as he slammed the ball into the net.

Mckay rattled the underside of the Queens bar and substitute Harry Cochrane forced a smart stop from Ridgers at the other end but Dodds’ men held on to claim an important three points.