HERIOT'S bounced back from recent disappointments to claim the spoils in a full-blooded contest at The Greenyards last night. This victory sees the Edinburgh side – currently fourth in the Super6 Championship – keep touch with the top half of the table ahead of hosting second placed Boroughmuir Bears next Saturday lunchtime.  

Fifth placed Knights now face a daunting trip to Millbrae to take on Ayrshire Bulls in the tea-time game on the same day. 

The hosts grabbed a fourth minute lead when back-row Rudi Brown burst over for the game’s opening try, but Heriot’s  bounced back almost immediately, and after one line-out maul was repelled, the Edinburgh side regrouped and attacked through the same approach, and this time Michael Liness managed to get the ball over the line. Both tries were converted, by David Colvine and Bruce Houston respectively. 

Knights nudged themselves back in front through an Aidan Cross try, once again converted by Colvine, but history repeated itself with Heriot’s in quick order through Liness finishing off a close-range line-out drive, then the visitors snatched the lead on the stoke of half-time with a penalty from in front from directly in front of the posts. 

Heriot’s stretched the lead to 10 points midway through the second half when replacement scrum-half Euan McAra and replacement flanker Sam Wallace – both making their debuts as emergency loans players from the Premiership – combined to send Sam Pecqueur over, and Houston added the extras. 

Knights pulled themselves back into the contest with five minutes to go when a coruscating break from Edinburgh pro Charlie Shiel sent man-of-the-match Rudi Brown over for his second try of the night. 

But the Borderers’ hopes of securing their second win of this Super6 campaign were obliterated when Finn Douglas ran the ball back from behind his own line, then decided to kick, only to be charged down by Bobby Kay who then managed to chase down the loose ball just before it bounced over the dead-ball line.