PARTICK THISTLE manager Ian McCall insits the emphatic scoreline didn't flatter his side in a thumping win over Morton - and warned "we could have scored more".

McCall was bold in his team selection with wholesale changes from his line-up that fell to defeat against Falkirk in Challenge Cup duty.

And it was worthwhile squad rotation as the Jags earned a dominant win to take them a point clear at the top of the Scottish Championship table.

"I do not think five goals flattered us, we could have scored more," said McCall.

"This is the best squad I have had during my second spell here, so I was pleased with the performance.

"There was some deserved criticism after the Falkirk result last week, but I made 11 changes, so it was good to see us bounce back.

"Over the course of the season, you need to utilise your squad, and so far, I have been able to do that."

Hailing the work put in by players and fans alike as he relished keeping pole position in the table a thrilled McCall added: "We are a point clear, but our goal difference is also excellent.

"Our goal difference is miles ahead of anyone else's because we have scored a lot.

"I am pleased for our supporters because they created a great atmosphere today."

The first chance of the game came almost immediately as Brian Graham hit the bar two minutes in with a header from a corner.

After an initial flurry for the home side, the game settled into a steady rhythm.

Ton striker Robbie Muirhead opened the scoring with a stunning free kick 17 minutes in.

The rocket shot flew past the Thistle wall and gave goalkeeper David Mitchell no chance.

After the away team took control for a short period of time, this dominance was eventually broken when Graham then levelled the match with his headed effort 10 minutes later.

It was then a quickfire double from McCall’s side as Kevin Holt rose from a corner to give The Jags the lead.

Morton goalscorer Muirhead then missed a guilt edge opportunity not long before half-time when he headed wide from close range.

After going into the break in front, the Thistle manager decided to make two substitutions, with the players who had been left out from the start with Tiffoney and Turner sent on.

The Jags were then in cruise control as they went 3-1 up not long after the restart when Aaron Muirhead put the ball in the net. 

Misery was then almost compounded for the Greenock club when they conceded a penalty just moments after the third goal.

However, Holt was unable to add to his tally as his attempt from the spot rattled the bar.

It ended up not mattering, though, as substitute Tiffoney scored a great solo goal 12 minutes from the end.

The result was then rounded off by another substitute, Anton Dowds, who scored with a rebound to finish a dominating performance from the home side.

Morton boss Dougie Imrie cut a frustrated figure at full-time as he bemoaned costly defensive mistakes from his team.

"If you do not defend properly, then you concede goals," he said. "The equaliser we concede is very poor.

"Up until today, we have been really good at defending set plays but given we are missing our two first-choice centre-backs, it becomes difficult.

"Thistle did not have to work for any of the goals they scored today and that is the most frustrating thing."